Airbrush powder paint??

Squeakyboatcaptain

does anyone ever use an airbrush with powder paint to do accents?? I saw an airbrush on Barlow's site, and it made me wonder??? Any comments would be appreciated... I am thinking about getting a little compressor and airbrush for this...
Thanks

smalljaw

Look on here in the paintshop forum and scroll down and look at my spinnerbaits and swim jig, the pics aren't too great but all of them have been done with the powder paint airbrush. I was doing this before anyone was selling it, what you get is a Badger model 260 hobby sandblaster, that is what everyone is calling the powder paint airbrush. I love it but you need to remember, you aren't going to get thin lines to do any detail, what it does is blend colors seamlessly and makes fading effects really easy. I'll even throw a pic up here for you.

DSCF07012.jpg

toadfrog

If I'm going to do several hundred I use electrostatic for base colors . Then either the tap method or air brush for detail . The air brush is going to seem like you waste a lot of paint into the air but not as much as you think . I would definately dedicate an area far from your normal work areas because the crap goes everywhere and will cross contaminate . Don't reuse the sprayed powder . it will just cause problems .

Squeakyboatcaptain

So you need a special airbrush?? The one I saw looks like a plain siphon type brush?? I ordered the compressor, and it comes with a siphon type brush... I guess I will be doing some experimenting when I get home from offshore!!!
That spinner bait looks incredible... That fading is what I am looking for!!

smalljaw

Squeakyboatcaptain said:
So you need a special airbrush?? The one I saw looks like a plain siphon type brush?? I ordered the compressor, and it comes with a siphon type brush... I guess I will be doing some experimenting when I get home from offshore!!!
That spinner bait looks incredible... That fading is what I am looking for!!

You need the hobby sand blaster which happens to be what TJ's, Barlows, Janns and all the rest are selling as the powder paint airbrush. I made a small spray booth out of the box from my work boots and since I take a size 14 EEEE the box is pretty large. I hang bags to reclaim powder when doing a large number of baits but when I'm only doing a few I just leave it go and if you want you can run a shop vac hose in the corner of the box and it will suck in the over spray. Practice with it and use different compressor settings, this will allow you to do different type of effects, for example, I will often go up to 4 or 5 psi which is about the max I would use with this, what that does is it pushes the powder out fast and with force so if you hold the lure a little bit away and just hit the buttom 1 or 2 quick pulses, you can get just a fine dusting of powder, this is nice when you have a pearl color lure and you want say a blue hue while keeping the bait a pearl finish. Turning down to about 1 psi will let you do red throats or orange bellies without having over spray putting paint on other areas of the bait. Play with the settings and it will let you do a lot of neat effects.

debrartin

Banned
Thanks LedHed
Recently I have painted this bike using airbrush.
22017_cf70be20c0a5ea3d.jpg

Kdog

Fatman said:
Anything like the powder water from Columbia Coatings??

pretty much the same thing
I bought a quart and it will probably last a lifetime.

Back