After the flood

bombora

Finally escaped the city and drove west to the wild river. It's beautiful, rugged country. I love the name for part of the area: the Gardens of Stone National Park.
View attachment 2
View attachment 3
The record rains of some weeks ago saw the water on the wild river rise by 30 feet in a few hours, as it's gorge country. The water would have been about rhe level where the old dead tree on the left foreground is cut off in this pic:
View attachment 4
Spawning time is starting here. Didn't see a trout for first few hours. So kept walking, and walking, and some more walking.
Finally found the fish. They were hiding in deep under cuts on outside bends. BUT the floods had gouged the soil from the tops of the undercuts, which left dozens of roots exposed; like witches fingers ready to grab your line. Lost three fish when drifting a tiny bugeye jig into the undercuts, including one where I was standing on the undercut. Got a big hit, my line was facing straight down, and into the undercut, but to my left a solid rainbow started jumping. Damn roots. Flicked open the bail, tried desperately to free my line, as the bow kept leaping. Didn't end well.
I hate leaving lures in fish's faces, even tiny single hook jigs. So left the undercuts alone and kept walking. And walking.
Finally found some shallow runs where the fish where obviosuly getting ready to love up. Scored this 18 inch hook jawed jack from a run maybe 15 foot long, five feet wide and a foot deep. Damn the bows in this river are thick shouldered fish, which just go nuts.
View attachment 5
It charged down the run to the tiny pool I was standing by, and jumped seven times! (I counted). Spawning colours? (the pics don't do colours justice) and would his jaw be more hooked than normal cause of spawning hormones?
I revived and released him, then did a lazy cast back into the run, and a female smacked the jig, and then started porpoising towards me and jumping two or three times. Couldn't get a proper hook set despite winding as fast as I could! His lover?
Our bows are Californian steelhead stock, from a "creek" in San Francisco Bay, brought out in late 1800s.
Walked up a little more and saw two fish in the next small shallow run. Three times I got follows to my feet then next cast scored this lovely 13 inch wild brown:
View attachment 6
Small head and big body, like all the fish I've caught in this river. And very silver, like pics of searunners I've seen. Maybe cause of the air-clear water?
Anyway, walked pretty well non stop for eight or nine hours, and got rather stiff legs for next few days, but love the wild river.

Attachments

• flat top.JPG
    flat top.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 58
  • cliffs.JPG
    cliffs.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 73
  • pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 71
  • buckbow.JPG
    buckbow.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 69
  • brown&rod.JPG
    brown&rod.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 53

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow! That sounds like an extreme challenge not only finding but landing a fish - makes success all the more exhilarating. And the country is so wild and beautiful - if not for the snakes I might bucket list Oz.

Great that the SF Bay drainage steelhead strain is self-perpetuating out your way. My wife is from Napa, and I don't think there are any left there since the whole valley turned into vineyards and subdivisions. Last time I looked the creekbed was dry above the town, and the lower "river" was a disgusting mess of urban runoff and dumpage. There are signs showing pics of steelhead and salmon in a Napa town park which is a total joke - might as well be dinosaurs.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking fish! Pretty sure that the kype jaw is more pronounced when they are in full spawn.

Landscape pictures are very cool - simply beautiful. Makes me dumb-struck to try and imagine the forces that shape those 'stones' in the garden. :)

bombora

Keith no snakes in late autumn, they are all getting ready for a nice long sleep! 0 celsius at night, next week will be -3 celsius at night. But quite nice if a sunny day, 17C to 19C. Nighty night Mr Tiger, Mr Copperhead, Mr Brown and Mr Black, see ya next Spring.
I am grateful the colonists who wanted to fish for their beloved trout chose Californian steelheads to bring here.
You guys would love it, someone invent a teleporter, now.
Attica this is what time looks like. The skeletons of mountains, in the oldest, flattest country on earth.
Won't look much different in winter; the eucaylpt forests stay everygreen. It's more that the light is different. Softer. And gold in the morning and in the afternoon.
Spent a life on the coast so it's as almost exotic to me as it is to you guys!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, spent many years within cycling distance of the South Shore Honolulu surf, and hitting the cool upland forests to hike and sometimes fish was a getaway from the urban heat and crowds. IMO there is no forest scent sweeter than eucalyptus.

Did the Abos inhabit that type of deep forest habitat?

bombora

Yep Keith coasts everywhere have so many damn humans now! Hey, I am sure I've read that an Hawaiian island had trout put into highland streams some time in the past??
Yes, local tribes made the mountains home. The Darug and Gundungurra people wore possum skin sewn together with kangaroo sinew. They apparently first arrived in this area about 20,000 years ago!
Very different people and cultures to the coastal tribes. Known for their tool and weapon making. Still can find rock art near caves. Tough people.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Lucky there are still escapes from being part of a crowd.

Yes, haven't been on Kauai in over 30 years, and never hiked down from upcountry Koke'e into a secluded valley stream where rainbows have somehow managed to self perpetuate in the tropics. I've heard the fish are small due to the skinny water. When I was last there, my angling destination choice was still public accessible sugar plantation lands small reservoirs with bass and tucunare.

Watching docus it is incredible how your Australo indigenous peoples managed to survive in harsh deserts, so not surprising they managed the upland forests as well.

Back