? about tying w/ waterfowl feathers

Uncle Grump

I picked up a couple packages of waterfowl feathers at the local tackle shop - so as to try some jigs w/ them - see if I could come remotely close to some of the examples I've seen - ie Jungle Jim's.

What I got was:

Mallard - Barr Flank - woodduck

Mixed waterfowl flank - Natural (Gadwall, Pintail, Teal)

In my one attempt so far - using the Mallard, I find the feathers have a "deep cup" shape. I found I had to use two feathers - one on each side of the hook shank, and tie the feathers quite a way down the shaft of the feather, towards the tip of the feather - so as to 'flatten' the cup, then trim off the unused portion of the feather shaft. This looked halfway reasonable - other than the feather shafts seem quite stiff - little motion by the feathers (as I observed it in the water).

Does this sound right?

Right now, I can't post a pic - my digital camera died.

Thanks

UG

JUNGLEJIM1

UG, I'll help you if any way that I can.I've been tying with the mallard flank for over 15 years so it's taken a little while. I've been using polar flash lately to add flash and bulk to the underbody. It helps getting the shape I'm looking for.I buy my mallard flank from Cabelas in bulk,about a gallon sized bag for $5. then I spend an hour or two trimming off the fluff and thick stems from each feather. The best feathers have a willowleaf blade shape,but most feathers are usable.There isn't much action with the flank feathers but fish really like them. The dark barring of the gadwalls are great for the top or back of the jig,I use them in combination with the lighter mallard flank feathers. Two feathers is about normal for each jig. Probably best to tie in the back portion first,then the belly portion.Trim small pieces off along the stem of another feather to fill any gaps or to add color to the sides. A little hackle tied in at the throat for contrast really works well. It takes awhile but if you work at it enough you'll get the profile you are looking for. I'll send you a pm with my phone number and I can possibly talk you through it,if you have problems or questions.I hope this helps. Maybe one day I'll do a video and put it up. Some things are hard for me to put in words. Timewise for me the ducks take the longest to tie.

ScottV

JJ1 I'd love to see a video on using duck feathers. They are beautiful feathers and they add a lot of personality to a jig. I've been playing with Mallard flank in a couple of ways and I like it.
Scott

Uncle Grump

JJ

Got your PM - Many thanks for the offer of help. I will need to experiment some more. The instructions in your post is way more than I knew.

UG

Back