A possible new customer, maybe...

hhawkins

So last week, a customer came into the tackle store to just look around. I said, "Ok, if you need me, hollar!" The man said thank you and continued to walk around the store. After I was done helping another customer that had come in the store after the first one walked in, I went back and asked if he was still doing alright. He said yes and then continued to tell me that he manages the Fall Creek Marina in Branson , Missouri. Asked me who did the jig tying for the store. I told him that a lot of them were ordered from other companies and some of the bigger bass jigs were tied by another guy that lived over in Fayettville, Arkansas. He told me that he was looking for another tyer that can tie small jigs from a 1/16 oz to the smallest 1/100 oz. So, like a school kid, I kind of raised my hand and told the man that I have tied small before. He asked me if I can tie flies too. I said "yes sir, what type of flies are you looking for?" He asked about the San Juan worm, salmon eggs and midges. I said yes sir, I can! He shook his head said he would keep in mind. I told him that I will tie him up some samples so, he can see my work and 2) so I can prove that I can do it. If this guy is impressed my work, I'm going to need to find all the sizes between a 1/16 oz to a 1/100 oz. I have 1/16 and 1/32 oz, but nothing smaller :s I tell you what...I can get myself in more trouble!...Oh Boy!

Kdog

hhawkins said:
So last week, a customer came into the tackle store to just look around. I said, "Ok, if you need me, hollar!" The man said thank you and continued to walk around the store. After I was done helping another customer that had come in the store after the first one walked in, I went back and asked if he was still doing alright. He said yes and then continued to tell me that he manages the Fall Creek Marina in Branson , Missouri. Asked me who did the jig tying for the store. I told him that a lot of them were ordered from other companies and some of the bigger bass jigs were tied by another guy that lived over in Fayettville, Arkansas. He told me that he was looking for another tyer that can tie small jigs from a 1/16 oz to the smallest 1/100 oz. So, like a school kid, I kind of raised my hand and told the man that I have tied small before. He asked me if I can tie flies too. I said "yes sir, what type of flies are you looking for?" He asked about the San Juan worm, salmon eggs and midges. I said yes sir, I can! He shook his head said he would keep in mind. I told him that I will tie him up some samples so, he can see my work and 2) so I can prove that I can do it. If this guy is impressed my work, I'm going to need to find all the sizes between a 1/16 oz to a 1/100 oz. I have 1/16 and 1/32 oz, but nothing smaller :s I tell you what...I can get myself in more trouble!...Oh Boy!

I'm sure you can find all the help you need through our member/vendors. I decided a long time ago that if I were in a bind, screw the casting although I love casting jigs, its time consuming and some vendors do an outstanding job, Clean jig heads, no flash to clean off and no sprues sticking out (a major issue on the 1/100). I like my jacobs molds but most need to be clipped and sprues filed. Some vendors clip and send jigs with the sprue still proud.

Just make sure you price them right your time is valuable and not sure how far away Branson is from your shop, but if its close, you may loose customers.

dbeam

Good Luck I just got some small heads from fishhunter775 they look great check him out. They were only minimally higher than some from China and are clean and ready to paint. I got some bigger heads from LeadFreeJigHeads that are equally well-made and had a quick turn around as well,

Darrell

luremaker

Also, if you ain't already, don't forget your federal exise taxes. Make them as your wholesale customer pay them. I pay them out of what I make on the retail side of the sale and I have yet to wholesale but if and when I do the wholesale side will have the exise tax added extra.

Back