A Pair of Perch Float-n-Flies

smalljaw

Cold weather is very close and in preparation for it I'm starting to tie some jig flies. These 2 are 1/32oz minnow heads with the collar taken off, they are painted with a custom blend of yellow, metallic gold, and clear and then a tap of black on the top. These jigs are using a size #4 sickle hook so I may be able to try them out for crappie next week too. It is hard to tell but I tied the body with sculpin olive buck tail and then added a little bit of olive pearl flash and finished it off with wood duck tone mallard flank on each side. The thread is Danville flymaster plus in 140 denier, this is the first time for me using it, I was using 210 for most of my bass jigs and the smaller jigs I was using 70 denier UTC but it was tough for me as I would break off with the 70 a lot so I got the 140 and I'm really happy, it doesn't build up as fast as the 210 and it much stronger than the 70, this is what I needed as I don't do the super small stuff that some of you guys do.

DSCN03242_zpsd42e82a5.jpg

mifon1

Those will look good under a float 'n fly for sure. Hey Smalljaw, I'd love to see you do one of your videos tying with duck feathers.

Mike

Back