A morning at the pass

flatsrat76

Went out early this morning and caught 3 Trout a mac and a small Flounder. It was just to choppy for me so I only fished for about 45 minutes. I caught the Mac,Trout and a Flounder on a Sparky bucktail and the one Trout in the Pic I used a Specs rig.

glider286.jpg

glider287.jpg

Flatsrat76

flatsrat76

Doc Crappie, The Mac was caught on this
glider288.jpg

glider289.jpg

Hawnjigs, That is hard packed sand, The tide was low at the time and I was standing in an area that was flooded for 6 hours and I was about 7 feet from some sugar sand. I didn't see that much bait at the time because it was kind of rough out, That area is like glass most of the time and bait is extremely thick in that area when its calm. I have never been into wire leader except when I use to fish for shark 10+ years ago. I was using 8 # mono 40# vanish fluorocarbon at the time because of the mac's in the area and when the Snook show up I will step up my main line to 20 to 40 pound test braid with 40 to 50# leader. I also know that your thinking about making Pompano jigs and here is a pic of one of the ways I like to rig them
glider290.jpg

Crappiecripplerjigs
I did take the pics at low light, I would have to say that the Spanish Mac's and trout are some cool looking fish..

Hawnjigs

KISS
That green head looks like a bonefish jig - upgrade hook - as good as it gets. Is "Sparkie" the local name? The Do-it version looks like this...

View attachment 5

Attachments

• sparkie.JPG
    sparkie.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 50

OKSTATEjiggy

Nice fish! That mac looks like a heck of a fun fish to catch. Where were you fishing? My dad told me a couple days ago that he booked us a trip at Lake Calcasieu, LA for my college graduation, fishing for trout, redfish, and flounder. I can't wait!!! And then after that on our way back home we're going to stop at Lake Texoma and hammer some stripers... gonna fish our @$$es off :)

flatsrat76

Hawnjig
You are right, It is a bonefish jig also known down here as a flats jig or "Sparkie" I never see anybody fishing that jig down here, Its more of a keys thing but it kills the Mac's and trout because it has a slow sink rate and I let it drift in the tide after each twitch. P.s. Are you sure your not in Florida........

Doc Crappie
I didn't make that jig but it is 1/4 http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/lures_tsunami_jigs_flats.htm

Okstatejiggy
I am a dedicated Redfish and Snook guy 99% of the time and when the tides are messed up I go to the beach for the fishing and the sights. Have you ever fished for Reds before?

OKSTATEjiggy

We caught a few redfish a couple years ago at Destin, FL, but I've never fished for them in the shallows with lures. Can't wait!

flatsrat76

OKSTATEjiggy said:
We caught a few redfish a couple years ago at Destin, FL, but I've never fished for them in the shallows with lures. Can't wait!

Its a blast, Most of the Reds I catch are in 1 to 4 feet..

Back