A few fish

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got out a few days ago when we had some warmer weather. One night was even warm enough to wear shorts after dark and the skeeters aren't out in force yet. :cool: Managed 5 bass in pretty short order during the day on some new ties. Was skunked on trying some new ties on my FR. Here's the biggest of the bunch on a jig...

101_1019_e.jpg

Headed back out after dark and managed 2 crappies, both right at 10.5" and also lost 2 others right at the bank with a few other missed bites. Not a killin but finally a start for me. :) Can't wait till it starts STAYING warm!!!

101_1023_e.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Jigs rule! Were you bassin' with banana head jigs? Can you share jig details and how did they handle in what kind of structure?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not positive on the head style, they were old heads i recycled, always thought they were sparkie heads, but not sure exactly what the difference is between them and bannana. Think it was kinda old, maybe from the 80's, had just a flaired lead barb. I do need to figure it out though, down to only 1 of them left...... The one i caught the fish pictured (& 3 others) on was lost that day. Would guess it is maybe a 3/8 oz. When i jig for bass with these bigger heads, i use a medium wt. rod loaded with 10# line (actually my Erie walleye rod) because i want to get them back, but i lost this one when i set the hook on a bite... nothing there. :( Was fishing rip-rap bank with about fist size rocks. They do get stuck often but the 10# test usually will free the jig or turn over the rock i am stuck on.

Here is a picture of the LAST ONE of these heads i have. This is not the pattern i was using. Will not fish this till i find something close to replace it and may just tear this one apart.....

101_1038_e.jpg

The next picture is what the actual tie looked like, just on the other head, made this one at the same time. Had a black head, green/black zonker tail, then palmered the black up the head some...

101_1029_e.jpg

If you know the head name, please let me know..... :)

Jubs

Nice fish! Were you throwing those large jigs on a fly rod? ( I see a fly rod in the background of the first picture)

Hawnjigs

KISS
Due to an extended vertical front face, the jig pic head appears to NOT be a Do-it banana(I've got 6 different molds). The Sparkie indeed wasn't designed for 90* hooks but 60* EC 413.

What kind of hook is in the ball head pic? Never seen a beak point jig hook like that - looks strong & sharp.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Jubs - Hahaha, heck no!! I do not have a death wish, have a hard enough time casting big wet zonker flies - i'd end up with a cracked skull in short order. :sleepy: Was hoping to see gills to cast to with some nymphs.

Hawnjigs - Think those bananas would be close enough to what i want. As for the other jig... the sproting goods store i work at used to sell fishing/hunting stuff years ago and have a bunch of misc. junk still in the basement that i have picked through - so not really sure of the style, but it is definatley a heavy hook! Here is what the jig orig looked like and one other odd one i found.... both have some kind of synthetic tail material.
101_1047_e.jpg

Here is another find i thought was interesting. Is stamped with "Baracuda" and 1-1/2 oz. Is a slip jig, just a hole in the nose and no hook. Grabbed it just for all the hackle in it, but haven't been able to let myself tear it apart. :rolleyes:
101_1045_e.jpg

crappiecripplerjigs

I think the purple banana could be an Arkie Jig. I remember using these in the early 1980's out of Grandpa's tackle box. Not sure, but I think these were made in Oklahoma somewhere near Grand Lake. Every tackle store around the lake sold them.

Hawnjigs

KISS
CrapCrip, think you're right about the head being an Arkie. Not aware of a non-weedguard version mold, prob before my time(casting).

Was too young to be legal, but had a fishing supply job 50 yrs. ago and those feathered "aku(tuna to you mainlanders) jigs" were the go to trolling lure in HI blue water back then. Made in Japan, our version was mostly red & white feathers with red faceted probably glass eyes, becuz plastic might not have been invented yet!

Sure would like some of those beak points, look a lot like Owners. Do any of you old timers recognize that hook?

Back