A few 1/16 oz ponies

SlabHappy

Here are a few 1/16 oz ponies I tied up with my modified pinned mold. Come out pretty good, I think?
DSC03968_zpsce8ef539.jpg

DSC03970_zps8f4a0dcc.jpg

DSC03971_zps49849529.jpg

00buck

Ok this maybe a stupid question but how do you tye the feathers or bucktail to the hook and how do you know how much to put on the hook

plateboater

00buck....a lot of youtube videos to get you started. I will say a pinch but my pinch is different than yours!!! No stupid questions here on this forum!

SlabHappy

Yeah, a lot is trial and error. Trust me, I have several jig boxes full of my first ties that I will probably will never use. They will probably catch just as much fish as my last ones, but to me, they are inferior. Too long body, not enough tail, too much tail, thread over the body, too small eyes, ect. A lot of people here, and a lot of people on TFF helped me learn. Best way to learn is post pictures and ask questions. Another good way is to join jig swaps and see other peoples work. You get ideas and new techniques to ask "How did you do that? That's how I learned last summer. One thing Skip helped me on was to not trim the tips of the marabou and to pull it off the stems.

papaperch

I would say the trouble and expense you went to in modifying your mold was worth every penny.

These ties more than prove that. Extremely nice looking ponies

SlabHappy

papaperch said:
I would say the trouble and expense you went to in modifying your mold was worth every penny.

These ties more than prove that. Extremely nice looking ponies

Thanks, to be honest, modifying the mold was pretty simple. It was harder to just to decide to drill on a perfectly good mold! Cost about $20 for the pins, I have 48 - 1/8" pins left, still need a few more 3/16" to finish the 1/4 oz cavity and one of the 1/8 oz rounds. Thinking of getting some dremel bits and do a little more modifying.

fishindad

These are very nice! I like the color combos alot. Been thinking about one of these molds.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

SlabHappy

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I like the bigger eyes on those.

Thanks everyone. I have about 100 more I painted, some with eyes, some with painted eyes (from before I pinned it). I planned on using the 1/8" pins for 3mm eyes for the 1/16 oz, but decided to use the 3/16" for 4mm eyes. That is why I ended up short on the 3/16" pins and so many extra 1/8". I think they come out pretty good. I wish GB wouldn't have shipped me #4s instead of #6 hook, so I could pour some of the smaller ones. I have some more on order, but who knows when I will get them. I might dremmel my mold to take larger hooks.

LedHed

Sponsor
Great lookin tyes - nice work. Don't count out marabou fluffs - depends on what you want the marabou to do...

Back