A couple walleye jigs

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Purple and orange are both good 'eye colors - those should work well and are nicely tied. I am always working on making my thread necks shorter and those look about right. The peacock should work good for a little subtle flash.

toadfrog

Keeping ties short and not losing hair is a pain sometimes . Maybe you guys can answer this . I've heard that a slimmer profile is more acceptable than a big flare . I don't know because walleye are not that abundant here .

BucktailJiger

That is true . All my Bucks are thin . Generally run the tail the length of the shank .

waynesburgjay

An old timer turned me on to these for walleye, just plain heads but his tails we're way longer than mine, I've tied a lot of trout flies and always tried to not bulk things up too much.

smalljaw

They could double as smallmouth jigs!!!! I can't tell you the number of times when fishing hair jigs for smallies in the river we would hit a school of walleye, awesome jigs!!!!!!!!!!

macon1

Nice.......thanks for posting....

How did you narrow the tail on the first one in the bottom row? Thanks again and Good Fishing, Mac

Bucko

toadfrog said:
Keeping ties short and not losing hair is a pain sometimes . Maybe you guys can answer this . I've heard that a slimmer profile is more acceptable than a big flare . I don't know because walleye are not that abundant here .

yes. for me less is more. I tie flathead jigs with bucktail for river walleyes here and leave a long tail with a small treble hook stinger.

Bucko

toadfrog said:

yes. for me less is more.

waynesburgjay

macon1 said:
Nice.......thanks for posting....

How did you narrow the tail on the first one in the bottom row? Thanks again and Good Fishing, Mac

null_zpsbcc0a001.jpg

Just run them under some water, it really shows what the jig will look like under water.

eyecrosser

Nice job, less is definately more with bucktails and makes adding a minnow or leech/crawler much easier if you tip with live bait.

Back