A bit of ice time...

Uncle Grump

All

Been able to get out on the ice a couple times over the last month. Fishing in the basin of a small reservoir (120 acres), 28' of water. Getting sunfish a few isolated crappie. Fishing real simple, wax worms on a jig - Tightline or spring bobber. Caught fish both times - first outing was better at 17 between the two of us (son & I). 2nd trip we managed 8.

It was slow - we've had to work the fish. For the most part the fish were tight to the bottom, and we had to coax them up and then convince them to bite. Bites ranged from very, very soft (as in you could see the line move but not feel it), to a distinct thump. I like "thump".

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you have found some time to get out UG!  As cold as it has been, i bet you have a pretty thick base layer of ice.

Might just piggyback your thread with my season so far....... I have had a pretty good one to this point.  Outside of the temperature swinging a LOT up and down that caused a some shore ice to go to crap, i've been fishing on between 6" to 12" of ice most of the season.  Been able to get out and walk on the ice since around Christmas, which is pretty darn good for Ohio.  The warmer temps have been melting off the snow making it a breeze to pull gear over the ice.  Just last night we did get a few inches though and think a little more is on the way.  

Got a new H-Bird Helix 5 fish finder with the ice fishing package for Christmas.  Sweet little toy.  Much better definition and separation than my old Ice35 flasher.  It has maps and GPS capabilities as well so already marked a few spots.

The ice built fast early on and made it out to spots i haven't been able to ice fish for the last 2 warm winters.  The big fishbowl (Bellevue #5) gave up a nice mix of bluegill, crappie and perch.  Hit it a couple times and managed a meals worth.  There are some really nice perch in this lake, but they are sure tough to convince to bite.  Ton of crappie in here too, but they roam so much they are tough to find.  Shortly after i fished the reservoir, we got a couple days of thaw that raised the creeks and the city decided to pump water into the reservoir.  They brought the level up several feet and made it a muddy mess..... along with destroying the shoreline ice.  Talked to a member of a forum that said the shore never locked back up.

View attachment 8

View attachment 9

Got to ice fish another lake close to home with a good population of walleye and managed to land my first (ever) walleye through the ice.  Caught a couple other cigar sized walleye that day, but at least managed one keeper.  Just started fishing with jigging-raps this year and they are paying off.

Attachments

• 2017-18_ice_01.jpg
    2017-18_ice_01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2017-18_ice_02.jpg
    2017-18_ice_02.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2017-18_ice_03.jpg
    2017-18_ice_03.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 36

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fast forward a month or so and after some more warm days with rain, the ice on the deeper water reservoirs is not doing so good.  The base ice is still there, but getting to it is the problem.  Did some searching around 2 weeks ago and only available ice i could find was on East Harbor off of Lake Erie.  This shallow harbor that is part of a State Park is know for its bass fishing during the summer and also for the panfish you can get through the ice.  Lots of people out the day i went.  Met up with a couple other people and hoped if we spread out we could find some active fish.  Everyone else was have a slow slow pick of fish....... but i found a real hot spot on the outside of a thick green weedbed!  Ended up being one of my most productive days on the ice i can remember.  Caught 2 crappie, 2 perch, a couple bluegill and a whole bunch of pumpkinseeds.  Also released a few bass as well.  Probably caught over 75 fish for the day and brought home 42 to clean.  Vast majority of those fish were caught on the smallest tungsten jig i had with a single maggot.  They wanted a very small item.  Did catch the crappie and one of the bigger perch on a kiptail jig though.  Very fun day and managed to put a nice little stock in my freezer.

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

Attachments

• 2017-18_ice_04.jpg
    2017-18_ice_04.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2017-18_ice_05.jpg
    2017-18_ice_05.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2017-18_ice_06.jpg
    2017-18_ice_06.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2017-18_ice_07.jpg
    2017-18_ice_07.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Just got out on Super Bowl Sunday for a few hours before the game.  Stayed close to home at the Attica reservoir and honestly didn't have high hopes for the day.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Had action the whole time i was there.  Caught 3 good sized bass that peeled drag and a bunch of little dink bluegills.  Moved around a bit and did manage to find a few gills worth keeping.  Brought home 8 to clean before i sat back and watched the game.  I believe i am the ONLY person who actually fishes this reservoir through the ice.  Fishing it over the past 10 years, have never ran into anyone else or even seen other holes cut.  Not many fish it during the summer either.  Best part is, it is less than a mile from my house as the crow flies.   :cool:

View attachment 7

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

Attachments

• 2017-18_ice_09.jpg
    2017-18_ice_09.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2017-18_ice_10.jpg
    2017-18_ice_10.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2017-18_ice_08.jpg
    2017-18_ice_08.jpg