A Article about some of my mentors

redman

Back in the day Larry Myher was the outdoor editor for the regional news paper The Sioux City Journal. I have been reading some of his old articles as some of them have been put on the web. The best are not there that was when we were both young, dumb, and brash. We would fish together at times when he came for a day of fishing on lake Okoboji. Here is one that I remember and want you to enjoy. Have fun. http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/...cle_e9577978-24bd-5778-b777-c4c159a745a1.html

Redman

Jig Man

That was a good read, and its even better hearing from you... Hope things are well with you and your Clan.

jiggerjohn

Lacey Gee's book on jig fishing is still the best ever written! More tales of these mentors of yours would be appreciated! Thanks much for this one!

redman

Thanks guys I find that now that my body is telling me to slow down I tend to go back in my mind and relive things from my past. I have a bunch more that I will be posting up.

Redman

Hawnjigs

KISS
Redman!

Having been blessed with a walleye resource here, looked for an image of Mr. Gee's "Slim Jim" but couldn't find one buried in a pile of other versions. Was it a jig? Slab? Plug?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thanks to JiggerJohn for info on the "Slim Jim" which was exactly as the name implies - a long skinny bucktail tie on a jig head.

Being only a state away from my present home, the late Mr. Gee and I share similar angling opportunity and apparent preference for finesse tekneek, and I have ordered a copy of his book published in 1970. Online portals for recycling items like eBay and Amazon are a blessing!

redman

Pup I know the man and would much rather have someone else tie my jigs. He has never did a great job. Copied everyone's ideas and loves to tell you how great he is. I knew Cap and Cap would puke if he saw what had become of his jigs.

Look at the ties that I made in this thread. http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=2756&highlight=Iowa+walleye

Now look at the jigs in this site and you can see the difference. https://kabeles.com/shop/open-water/rc-bucktail-jigs-caps-rock-a-roos/

As Cap always told me it's one thing to be stupid just don't work at it. Work at tying the most perfect jig or fly you can. It will catch more fish.

Redman

Pup

redman said:
Work at tying the most perfect jig or fly you can. It will catch more fish.

Redman

Redman,

I definitely see the difference and share your belief that a well-tied jig will stay on the end of an angler's line a lot longer. You know what I mean by this. :)

redman

Pup

Right on brother hope all will take a minute and study your work clean, crisp, even, no waste above the collar, even collars. Jigs have to look like a bait fish. Sometimes a fish will see it for just a second other times you have to drag it across there nose for ten minutes but every time it must make the fish think that it is seeing a bait fish. If it is tied well and the fish are hungry or aggressive you will put them in the boat.

Redman

redman

Thanks Nightprowler Want to tell you that you made me a jacket zipper pull. I have it on my fishing vest and also you made me a set of painted heads one was a tiger shark pattern. That one has put its fare share of Crappies in the boat. The tiger shark is one pattern that goes with me this time of year it just plain will tear the crappies and bass up when they are feeding on small frogs. Nightprowler is the king of the paint job BAR NONE.

Pay close attention to how he paints his eyes. Fantastic!!!!!!!

Redman

Back