4/14/10 Ties

Jubs

I did some tying last night to finish up all the swaps I am in and I figured since I had everything out I might as well tie some more flies after all the jigs.

Size 14 Elk Hair Caddis

4523276926_bd351c6e83.jpg

Wire ribbed (hot yellow size small Uni Wire) Teeny Nymph Ginger (looks like off white more than true ginger to me but whatever)

4523276246_ab167f212f.jpg

Same as above but in Insect Green

4522641081_8bcca3ff66.jpg

Same but red wire and black pheasant tail

4522640331_1f31326900.jpg

Olive Scud I used actual hair from a hare's mask (fur from a skinned rabbits face) and mixed it to get extra guard hairs (the thicker hairs) to make it buggier. I could tie these things all day long! I love tying scuds quick and simple and they look great!

4522639445_e926cccfc7_b.jpg

Again

4522638461_f591beeebd_b.jpg

Jubs

Ron Don said:
Wow great job on the flies. Seeing flies like that really makes me want to try tying them!

Thank Ron Don! You should they are a lot of fun! This is why I keep posting pictures in hopes to get more interest in tying flies on here cause I know there is a ton of talent on this site and I would love to see what some of you guys could come up with. I definitely enjoy it more than jigs at times because I don't have a hunk of lead in the way of me getting materials on the hook.

Doc Crappie said:
Jubs

How long did you say you have been tying? For those are excellent, definitely put mine to shame, guess that means I need to practice up allot more than I have been with the flies...

I have been tying about 13 months now ( I think I bought my jig tying kit in March of '09) and actual flies about 3 months. I was playing around with flies that were basically my idea of making miniature swim jigs. I think I played with some foam stuff about 4 or 5 months ago but foam is easy and the ones I tied are not that great I need to get back on it now with more knowledge and experience and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the compliments.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty darn good for a year or so... i have been tying for nearly 15 now (off and on anyway) but think i would rather use yours. lol Scuds are gill slayers for me!!!

crappiecripplerjigs

Awesome. Is the back on the scud made with "larva lace"? I have some but don't know what it is for... as is the case with most all of fly tying goodies!

Jubs

Thanks guys! The back is made from Scud Back. Larva Lace is a tube material, if you give me a couple of days ( I have to catch up on school work) I will tie something with Larva Lace and post it up for you to check out.

Jubs

crappiecripplerjigs said:
Awesome. Is the back on the scud made with "larva lace"? I have some but don't know what it is for... as is the case with most all of fly tying goodies!

Here is some Larva Lace tubing. This is clear so the thread underneath is the color. This stuff is pretty cool I need to play around with it some more. The only thing I don't care for is trying to secure it with 8/0 thread it tends to break due to the pressure needed to properly secure the stuff.

4530544000_69dccc1ea2_b.jpg

4530543004_f9bef86c97_b.jpg

4530540938_2a943e0614_b.jpg

Jubs

Thanks Doc. I have a D40x they don't make them anymore nothing fancy but it get the job done most of the time.

Jubs

The D40 lasted longer than the D40x, the D40x was replaced with the D60. As for lenses most of new smaller ones (camera bodies) they make don't have internal motors to focus the non internal focus motors so if you find or have an older lens you will have to manual focus it but most all the of F mount lenses will work on them. They will just be manual focus.

Back