2nd Arctic Fox deal

Fatman

Got a second deal on arctic fox from the same lady on ebay but in white this time. 3 full tails and lots of body fur too. 
100_7353.jpg

Pic from the front of the couch to show it all stretched out
100_7354.jpg

Fatman

Thanks all - I know I can dye the tails no problem, probably in pieces but I got a buddy on one of my fly tying boards who used to do commercial dyeing and he told me dyeing pieces of the pelt and keeping them soft depends A LOT on how they were dyed. So I'm going to pull out the dye and do a cold dye on a piece of it and see what happens. Results to follow!!LOL Either way I can still cut the hair off and tie with it but I'd prefer SOFT!!

Fatman

So it's 9 hours later and I've got the dye jobs done.  Did a piece of the body hair and a chunk of the tail - I did find that it's easier to dye with the tail IN but it still worked just have to be careful when you comb it out. 

Tail drying and initial brushing

100_7356.jpg

Tail all dried and brushed
100_7359.jpg

Body piece drying and I'm stretching it as it drys, been doing it every 15 mins and so far its still flexible and the
holes were there when I started.  
100_7362.jpg

Hair all combed out nice and it's dry, just waiting for next round of stretching
100_7363.jpg

So far so good but till the hide is completely dry is the last step

Fatman

Well the hide is still flexible but it's not as soft as it was when I started and I found I missed a step by not putting hair conditioner through it and re-rinsing after the dye job.

Both Pieces all totally dried
100_7367.jpg

100_7369.jpg

Cut up into cross-cut Zonker strips and what was left cut into straight cut zonkers
100_7371.jpg

100_7374.jpg

All bagged and tagged
100_7376.jpg

duffy

Looks nice FM! Really took the color good and bright. Is the hair conditioner supposed to keep the hide soft or just to help soften the hair more? I'm often concerned about the odors or perfumes that are in some of the shampoo's and conditioners leaving a scent that may be repulsive to fish, or do you think it makes no difference?

Fatman

Duffy

Helps to keep the hide soft - my wife has some Pantene that has no scent as certain smells set off her allergies.  This is what I got from my buddy

Too help keep the rabbit hide from getting stiff and brittle, you need to dye at room temperature up to 100F, nothing higher. Granted, it takes longer for the dye to set, but the lower temp helps prevent the hide from getting stiff and brittle. And after you have finished dyeing the hide and rinsed the excess dye out, soaking it for a few minutes in hair conditioner, followed by another rinse before allowing it to air dry helps greatly in keeping the hide supple.

Even without it it stayed soft enough to cut zonker strips

Back