20" trout = cold smoke material

Bucho

Hi,

dunno who of you fishes for trout and salmon but here´s how I make the most of it:

-filet fish
-shock-frost to soften the meat and kill possible bugs
-pluck small fishbones
-cover with a mixture of 60% brown sugar, 40% coarse salt and a little pepper
-cure for 12 hours
-rinse, put halfes together up-side down (thin end upon thick end) and let rest for another couple of hours
- dry properly
- give it 1,5-2 turns(approx.10 hours each) in a smoker, weber grill or any closed box that is consealed enough to catch the smoke withour killing the flame, together wit a cold smoke generater - best thing since sliced bread! :icon14:

The result makes you wanna get up from bed at night and hit the fridge.

16467661pk.jpg

eyecrosser

That looks delicious!!!! Do you ship overnight to Kansas:) Will have to try your smoke recipe out. Thanks for sharing, now I have to hit the fridge:)))))LOL

Hawnjigs

KISS
Geez man, I've never seen more skilled carving. So you're plucking the pin bones -aren't they quite a lot? I've been TRYING to slice them out in a strip, haven't got it figured out yet. The wild critters get lots of trimmings...

Your trout are much darker fleshed than the ones I've prepared. Mostly, mine were orange but this year the river trout were yellow fleshed. Wonder why?

Bucho

It depends on the diet. Larger fish are more yellowish here, too. The red color comes from crustaceans, mainly small shrimp and gammarus, whereas a fish feeder will be rather yellow. Much more yellow than the farmed fish that are beiing fed additives :)

The pin bones are a pain to pluck unless you freeze and thaw the fish. Then its easy, with a little patience and practice you are done in a few minutes. I don´t catch a fish like that every day and really love the outcome, so to me it is worth it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds delicious!

That is a pretty cool little dust smoker thing. Need one of those to be able to smoke cheese.

Radtexan

nice job Bucho.......Those weber's will do most anything.......Mine hit 11 years this summer
(maybe 12) and hate to say but its going out to pasture this winter,and it has been used..at least once a week,usually 2,x52x11=alot of dang cooking :t-up:

The fish looks great !

Back