13.5 inch Bluegill replica

BGman

This reproduction mount was cast from the original mold I made of the old 1995 Lake Perris record Bluegill. The fish was an even 3 lbs and it beat the old lake record by 1 ounce. ( I believe it now stands at 3lbs. 5 oz.) Though the fisherman's mount was painted to look like the live Lake Perris Florida strain Bluegill, which are pretty dark in color, this fish pictured below was airbrushed to look more like a "Northern" Bluegill. The fish was over 3 inches thick. One of these days the current record will be broken by a member of JigCraft.com. Wonder who?

3lbBGmount-1.jpg

BGman

Flatsrat76.. The fish was caught on an old Bagley "Bang O lure" # 1 in Fire Tiger. This guy was trolling for trout or whatever he could catch. He hooked and landed the big Bluegill, didn't know what it was, ("It's too big and too dark to be a Bluegill"), so he tossed it in the icebox. Later at lunch time, he took it in to show the guys in the marina store, and ask what kind of fish it was. They told him he "better weigh that thing because it's a bluegill and might be a new lake record!" Sure enough it beat the old record that stood for 10 years, by one ounce. The fisherman was so fired up that he had just caught the lake record Bluegill, that he went right back out to the same place, and started trolling again....and guess what happened? He caught another pig Bluegill that weighed 2 Lbs 12 oz.! This guy contacted me (when I used to do taxidermy) and I mounted his record fish, which was up at the store for many years. He also gave me one of the lures that he used. I still have it, but I'm afraid to use it. Cannot find many of them now.

ScottV... The name that will be next to it will be LedHed, Mealworm, or Baitmaster.

Back