1/48 oz. jigs

Pop

Hope I put this in the correct forum. I wanted some 1/48 oz. jigs but could not find where to purchase them, but after purchasing on the net some 1/64 oz. jigs that were not poured very good or had bad sprue (spelling) removal I thought possibly if I found a source for the 1/48 oz. jigs, they might be the same, so I was about to give up on having some 1/48 oz. jigs. I could purchase a mold from do-it but can't justify the 100+ dollars for the amount of 1/48 oz. jigs I would need personally. I then decided to experiment. Now I don't have a gram scale so I needed to work with the kitchen scale for weighing. This is a small digital scale which I use to weight flour or other small items for recipes. The scale is pretty accurate. I took 24-1/32 ounce jigs with collars and plastic holders and removed the collars and holders level with the jig head. I weighed the 24 together and got 1/2 ounce. Since 95% of my jigs don't have collars, I figure I just got my 1/48 ounce jigs. Has anyone else done this and do you think I am close enough if it was for government work? Thanks Pop

Kdog

Pop,
I did a little looking and what you did may be a great alternative. The weight IMO is important and although a lot of jigs are being sold as a specific weight, they often do not match the weight they are sold as. Often, it is the same head collared or collarless so there has to be some difference. I see the same with off the shelf jigs. A couple of my fishing buddies come by every once in while to weigh and sort their jigs so I know I am not the only one that feels difference matters. I am not certain if it matters for tied jigs as much as jigs for live bait or plastics but I have seen many times fish hit a bait and immediately spit it out. From years of fishing I find that switching to a lighter bait in these situations results in a longer bite and more hook ups.

I spent a lot of time polishing a couple molds to get the weight just right and keep those molds well hidden.

For me, I do a lot of drift jigging for Walleye and have 1/48, 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 ounce heads and depending on conditions and speed of drift the little bit of weight difference is often the difference between constant snagging or bumping the rocks and floating over the top.

So good call on removing the collars to get your 1/48th ounce heads

Back