1/4 oz. Flats Bugg CT

Hippel

View attachment 7View attachment 8View attachment 9View attachment 1Starting with a 1/4 oz. Flats Bugg jighead, tied screw lock to hook shank. Then std. bunny for the sides, magnum bunny on top, and flash in between. 30 lb. mason for the weedguard, and then attach your curl tail grub of choice. The chartreuse tail is a 4", the glow is 3"

Slit is cut in the top piece of bunny so you can get it over the barb and hook to change out grub tail when the fish tear it up.

Now I need to find the time to take it fishing! Plan on putting it in front of some surf run speckled trout this summer.

Tight Lines

Attachments

• BlueSmokeInVice.jpg
    BlueSmokeInVice.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 81
  • ScrewLockCloseUp.jpg
    ScrewLockCloseUp.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 80
  • BlueSmokeUndersideSlitInBunny.jpg
    BlueSmokeUndersideSlitInBunny.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
  • BlueSmokeChartTailInHand.jpg
    BlueSmokeChartTailInHand.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 84
  • BlueSmokeThreeInchGlowTail.jpg
    BlueSmokeThreeInchGlowTail.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 82

Hawnjigs

KISS
The hook slit in the hide is a nice trick. Why do you prefer the turned eye hook?

IMO the jig looks good to go without the plastic - does the trailer make a difference in your experience?

Hippel

Thanks for the kind words on the jig.

I didn't know much about the turned/flat eye when I chose it - I was looking for black nickel and strength to hold up in the saltwater environment. Come to find out it's a little less weedless than a standard eye but the hookset is better - almost always in the corner of the mouth. It also helps a bit when tying in the weed guard.

Almost every soft plastic sold here along the Gulf Coast uses some type of accent tail, either a different color and also a shad/paddle tail.

I tried many different ways to get bunny to wiggle, and it wasn't working. So I went with the grub tail.

The other jig I sell has a double bunny tail, and works well also. I use it when sight casting to reds because it has a smaller profile and lands really softly.

When I'm blind casting, I'll go with the curl tail version. I think it's personal preference.

Heath

Hawnjigs

KISS
I like that wet bunny casts farther than flapping plastic. Granted the material action isn't as intrinsically dramatic, but can still be jig-gled.

JiggerJohn taught me to action energise a jig with original Flashabou tinsel(not the twist kink Accent) trailing longer than the fur or hair fibers.

LedHed

Sponsor
Killer jig!! Excellent tie. Like the flat eye - some say it's a better hook set because your knot stays center.

flatsrat76

Hippel said:
Starting with a 1/4 oz. Flats Bugg jighead, tied screw lock to hook shank. Then std. bunny for the sides, magnum bunny on top, and flash in between. 30 lb. mason for the weedguard, and then attach your curl tail grub of choice. The chartreuse tail is a 4", the glow is 3"

Slit is cut in the top piece of bunny so you can get it over the barb and hook to change out grub tail when the fish tear it up.

Now I need to find the time to take it fishing! Plan on putting it in front of some surf run speckled trout this summer.

Tight Lines

God they are some ugly nasty jigs, I think you should send them to me so I can properly dismantle and scrap them :D J/K Some of the best I have seen...

Flatsrat76

Back