1-27-13

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Made it out on Sunday morning - only my second trip in two years. :-/ Felt good to get the flasher humming. Fished a smallish city water reservoir about 20 mins from home. Ice was around 5" but was perfectly clear so felt fairly safe out on it, even by myself. Sunny and nice in the morning but got cloudy, breezy and cold.... hole was freezing over and needed scooped out every couple minutes. Cut six holes in the time i was there and caught fish from only one of the holes. It was odd because the action was non stop from that hole but did not even mark a fish in holes that were only 15 feet away. Would have been even better if the fish were bigger. :D Only one keeper y.perch that measured a little over 8.5" and the rest were all 3"-4" perch. Tried some small kip jigs, salted shiners, jigs packed with spikes/maggots but the winner rig for the day was a Kastmaster spoon (silver) dropper with a #10 hook packed with maggots. Anyway, it was fun to get out.

View attachment 7

That keeper was the first fish i caught, so went home with me after it laid on the ice a few hours. Filleted it, then onto a foiled cookie sheet with butter and a dash of Tony's creole - 450 till it flaked. Good appetizer but would have liked much more to have a meal. 40­° today and almost 60° tomorrow - bye bye ice. :-/

View attachment 8

Attachments

• 100_5991_e.jpg
    100_5991_e.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_5992_e.jpg
    100_5992_e.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 71

Fatman

Glad you had a great time!!!!!!! Yeah we're supposed to get the warm-up here too but with it they were talking rain on wednesday. I'm so sick of this weather!!!!!!!! The last warm up we had melted about 18" of the snow we got, they were really watching the rivers!!!!!!!!.

Radtexan

Finally some hardwater you can trust...Looks like a good trip..I might be talked into some of the ice fishing Ive seen...In the shacks with a TV, heater,stove and most of the comforts of home ;)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
- Was cold, but have been colder. Easy to forget the cold when there are fish on the flasher. Didn't take my shelter even - like a dumbA - just a bucket to sit on. It was decent in the morning and forecast was to warm through the day. Next time the shanty will be in my car no matter what in case i need it.

- Would have cut more holes if i had someone with me or thicker ice. Didn't want to get to 'brave' out there by myself once i found some fish to play with. Had to be a school of bigger perch in there some where though. Have caught a few during warmer weather that went 10" from this reservoir.

Back