1/16 oz Zonker jigs

tds

Hello new to the board.. Just started tying my own jigs.. I am wondering what folks recommend for a hook size for up to a 3" zonker?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
In my mind, it depends more on the type of fish you are after rather than the size of the lure. Both largemouth bass and crappie would hit a 3" jig..... both could be caught on large hooks but i would use a little larger and different style hook if targeting bass.

Welcome to the site!

tds

Thanks, I am using these for trout.. I am just looking to find somewhere I can order the jigs with larger hook sizes... I did find one place that has them in size 2 but don't know if that is big enough.

Kdog

Not a trout fisherman but from what I have read, a size 2 is pretty big. I have cast 1/32, 1/16 jigs for some friends who do trout fish and use #6-#8-#10 hooks per their specifications.

you may want to consider long shank hooks as the regular shank hooks seem tiny to my short squat fingers.

tds

Do I need to buy fly accessories dumbbell/hooks to accommodate 3-4" streamers/zonkers instead of jigs?

Pepop

By Trout, do you mean Rainbow, Brown.... Or Steelhead & Big Lake Trout? For the latter, #2 hooks may be ok, on the small end. I too am not a Trout guy but have read much in years past. If you let your location be known, I imagine there are members nearby that can probably help you. BTW, WELCOME TO JIG CRAFT from East Texas!

tds

I would like to toss these in some smaller rivers/streams for big browns in MN.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've been targeting trout almost exclusively with zonker ties, mostly as propeller added Boolie jigs. For big brownies, my ideal jig weight for rivers is 1/8 oz. Last coupla years my hook sizes topped out at #4, but this year I'll be trying a bigger tie #2 upsize. My current hook choice for bigger trout is 32833 altho Gami 604 #2(actually #4 size equivelant) has stung lots of trouties. The Do-it STL molds are ideal for utilizing the 32833 matching trout appropriate sizes to head weights.

In small streams I would downsize to 1/14 oz. or lighter where long casts aren't required.

tds

Thanks for the help... Is there a place where one can buy these appropriate sizes to head weight without buying the molds and hooks seperate? IOW's is there some place that sells them?

Back