1/11/15 Attica #2

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ice is here! 6" of good solid stuff as of this weekend and should build more this week. This reservoir is so smooth you could ice skate the entire thing. Needed to wear studs on my boots or would have been flat quickly.

Got out yesterday and fished for a couple hours in the middle of the day. High temp was 18° i think and a miserable steady wind blowing. Only a couple of marks on the flasher and none of them wanted to play. :skunked:

Today i fished from 3:00 till dark and at least found some active fish. Temps were better, almost up to 30°, but the wind sure picked up. Everything went back to swim another day. Hopefully next weekend i can get them dialed in a little more and bring home some dinner.

View from the top. Sled and auger go down the bank nice and easy. Coming up is another story.
View attachment 3

First fish of 2015.
View attachment 4

Did catch a Fish Ohio award size (just barely at 27") channel cat. Fun on the light line, but got wrapped around my second line and sure made a mess. Took me 15 minutes to cut and re-tie everything.
View attachment 5

Dink LMB.....
View attachment 7

View from inside my flip shanty. :cool:
View attachment 6

Attachments

• 100_8428_e.jpg
    100_8428_e.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_8429_e.jpg
    100_8429_e.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_8430_e.jpg
    100_8430_e.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_8433_e.jpg
    100_8433_e.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_8435_e.jpg
    100_8435_e.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 66

Lost Pole

Looks like fun for sure. Nice catches.
I Cldnt do that with buddies.... Too many opportunities for pranks with this porta potty looking things.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
At this lake, usually no specific spot, but i do tend to set up more often in the SE corner. It's an upground reservoir for city water, so no cover at all, no weeds and only structure is the rip-rap bank down to the flat basin. At the current level it is right around 22 FOW. First place i try to find is the transition from rip-rap to the mud bottom of the basin. I drill LOTS of holes...... then go back around after cutting them all and see if fish are holding under any of them with the flasher. In 2 days of fishing, would guess i cut maybe 30-40 holes ( gas auger ;) ) because i found very few active fish. When they are not active, you have to sit it out and and use lures that 'call' fish to you and hope they come closer. Mentally marked a couple areas that had better marks, but who know the next time out. Would sure love to figure out where the crappie are in this particular reservoir during winter months..... there are some monsters in there and tons of cookie cutter 10" fish.

Ron Don said:
So do you pretty much know good spots to pole your holes before hand? They usually productive each year?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
A shanty doubles as a porta pot when the need arises. ;) If you drop a deuce down the hole though, may want to erase that GPS coordinate!

Lost Pole said:
Looks like fun for sure. Nice catches.
I Cldnt do that with buddies.... Too many opportunities for pranks with this porta potty looking things.

Len

I also plan to go out this weekend...Check out this video of this young guy who even ties his jigs on the ice...This would want to make you go ice fishing for sure...

Kdog

Was gonna try but footprints onlake showed some broken spots so I decided to not risk it. Couple guys were out and they said it was only soft in a few spots. I would have found the really soft spots so no thanks. Went to another cove and it looked better but no one had been there and 10 feet out I could feel springy ice so quit.

Back