01/24/2015 - New Washington

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
JungleJim - I believe it is a #8 hook and it is for sure the heavier 2X strong Mustad that you mentioned. I love those hooks, they do not break and keep the point in good shape for a long time. I lost 1 of the fish trying to get it to turn its head up through the hole and it came off when it hit the bottom of the ice so doubt a bigger hook would have helped there. The other lost fish simply turned and dove deeper and the hook popped.... larger hook with a little more play in the mouth might have helped there. Honestly though i got pretty excited after the first 2 and was probably trying to horse them through the hole a little too fast. You are right, i cuss and swear and second guess myself whenever i loose a good fish.

Hawnjigs - I almost exclusively use very small jigs and spoons out ice fishing and this long bucktail style i thought would be too big. Put it on my line on a whim since i could only get tiny little dinks for the first hour i was there. Then i turned around and caught the nicer bluegill on the same jig also. I am reconsidering some of my very small theories now. Now that i look at the head again......... i notice the machined look on the side of the round head, so this could possibly be a 1/24 instead of 1/32. That is one of your tin heads.... doesn't that look like a 1/24 or am i seeing things? I tied 4 of them and going to have to check them when i get home tonight.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, its 1/24 (lead weight) with a #8 Ultra Point 2x, which is about the same size as a standard #6 light wire round bend.

Small vs. big hooks? Hardcore #8 purist JiggerJohn appears to be tying larger lately.

Back