01/24/2015 - New Washington

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hit a different small city reservoir today. The choice paid off with some giant fish! Walking on about 8" of ice still and honestly looked a little better here with no white ice on top at all. Fish were very active today..... maybe with the weather coming?

Anyway, only managed 5 keepers today but 2 of them were Fish Ohio size crappie! First fish went 14" and the next went 15". The bluegills were just around 7.5". Lost 2 other giant crappie at the hole too and had lots of followers on the flasher that would not hit. Did land a big 18" bass as well. Very aggressive fish today..... watching on the flasher, some were flying up 10' off bottom to hit. Probably threw back another 20 dink gills.

All the keeper fish were caught on a 1/32 shiny tin head with a very spase tied white bucktail and silver wing-n-flash tail with a red thread trail also. Tipped it with a waxworm when the bluegills were around. Caught 1 of the crappies and the bass without any meat tip. Fun day!

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

View attachment 8

View attachment 9

Attachments

• 2015_01_24_01.jpg
    2015_01_24_01.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 2015_01_24_02.jpg
    2015_01_24_02.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2015_01_24_03.jpg
    2015_01_24_03.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015_01_24_04.jpg
    2015_01_24_04.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2015_01_24_05.jpg
    2015_01_24_05.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 61

Lost Pole

hookup said:
Nice slabs!

X2.
Great jig.
Really good fish there and sounds like an exciting Saturday trip. Nice to not to worry about getting off work early enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for looking guys. Was a hell of a day. Fished from about 10:00 till 2:00 and handled a lot of fish. These were both personal best for through the ice crappie...... first one popped my eyes out and then the 2nd bigger came right after it. :cool:

jig-guy

FAT Tire Ale! I saw that at the market today when I was on a beer run. I am going to give it a try since you have some. A fish dinner and Ale sounds great to me. Nice looking fish on the ice but since I am is southern California I am glad it's you not me. I hate being out in the cold!

fisherb

Nice looking fish. It's my dream to ice fish someday. Has to be somewhere else though, it's going to be 80 today :)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Don - I actually measured my cutting board since it was darn close to the height of the crappie. It was right around 5.5"-5.75". My auger cuts 8" holes so i should be good. A lot of guys i know use 6" augers around here for inland (not Lake Erie) waters so that would be cutting it close. I have caught a few catfish that i am pretty sure would NOT have made it through a 6" hole.

JungleJim & RadTexan - Oh yes...... i will be fishing here again. Only about 20 minutes away. Get down there occasionally but have not caught a crappie from this reservoir in at least 5-6 years. I actually went there looking to catch yellow perch. I did not catch a single perch. :p

Fisherb - Make sure you have a flasher/fish finder when you do. It makes a world of difference. You are welcome to join me in my little 30-40 acres reservoirs any winter.

Jig-Guy - The Fat Tire Ale is pretty good stuff. I like beer that kicks twice........ a good hoppy taste and then a decent alcohol % to kick me again. The Fat Tire fits that pretty well.

............................my plan is to try and hit this reservoir one night after getting off work this week to see if they are still active. That means after dark on the ice, alone with a lantern. :cool: Done it only a few times in the past and is quite interesting. Ice is not going anywhere at this point so why not?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow ! The bass looks big enuf to swallow your reel. Amazing it hit the little jig when it appears to have been feasting on dink bluegills.

JUNGLEJIM1

Curious as to what size hook is on that 1/32. Wire appears thick, perhaps a Mustad 32833? I know in the winter they seem to like the little stuff better but whenever I lose a big fish I'm always wondering if a bigger hook would have caught that fish. If they were active enough to come up 10 foot to eat the jig a bigger jig might have caught those crappie you lost at the hole. With this being said I once caught a 6lb. bass on a #10 jig hook so you never know.

Back