Zonkers

hhawkins

I picked up a couple of colors in zonkers from work today. I want to tye a couple of jigs with them, soooo...... What special technique do use to tye a zonker to a jig? Can somebody please show me? I want to send to Ga. for a surprise. Thank ya'all, Heather

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have been tying more with zonkers than anything else lately. Love the action they have, and so do the fish. What kind of zonkers did you get, straight cut or cross cut? The straight cut can be used to make tails or to use as an over-lay on the belly, sides or back of the body of a jig/fly. Cross cuts are more for wrapping to make a body - similar to how you would wrap chenille.

For a tail: I use more of the straight cut myself, they are good for longer tails on jigs. Not much to getting them on the hook, but keeping them in place and not slipping around the hook shank is the challenge. Strong thread helps, but is not an absolute must. Easiest way i have found is to start your thread on the hook and then tie in a piece of craft yarn - i use plastic canvas yarn. Wrap it around the hook shank (similar to how you would chenille) to create a base and then OVER wrap the yarn with your thread making tight wraps. This will give you a solid base that is wide enough to hold the skin from the zonker. Once you have your base, cut the zonker to the length you want and tie it on to the yarn base with tight wraps and you can finish the rest of the jig how you like.

For an over-lay: I posted this awhile back in another post - Skinny Rabbit/Duck - scroll down in the link and you can see some of the steps. You can use this to make the top, bottom or sides of the jig.

I plan to make some other tutorials, but those may not be till the first of the year or so. I would also like to see how others are using them as well! Hope this helps a little.

hhawkins

The zonkers that we carry in our tiny store are magnum cut strips. That is all the package says other then 2 ft. long. I have yarn here at the house that I crochet with, will that yarn be O.K.? I seen the post on your skinny duck, I'll have to go be back to it today when I get back from dropping my aunt off at work. I'll sit down at my work desk and play with the zonkers and see how well I do. Thanks Attica! Heather

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, magnum zonker tops are perfect for piercing. I like to measure the distance from jig head to the point where the hide will attach to the hook, then marker that point on bare side of the hide before cutting the strip to size.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
hhawkins - 'Magnum' refers to the width of the hide, they are wider than standard zonkers... work good on my larger bass jigs and i assume Hawn is using them in saltwater ties. Normal zonkers range in width but are usually right around 1/8th of an inch.

Hawn - like the marker idea, i eyeball it and miss sometimes - thanks!

Back