Your Ideal Fishing Spot

Hawnjigs

KISS
Mine would be a clear water trout stream with no skeeters or anything frozen. Walkable and castable banks. Opposite side reachable with a long cast. Having to hike in a mile or two would discourage crowds. Needless to say fish of exciting size need to be present.

SaltyBuckster

I'de have to say a rocky canyon in the bay just full of fluke and striped bass eating bucktails for breakfast, lunch and dinner.Light wind moving the boat at 1 mph maybe a tiny little chop on the water.The Lawrance fishfinder lit up and chirping like a little duck.This was for a dream spot,was'nt it?lol.

StumpHunter

It's hard to top a clear trout stream with no other fisherman in sight but I also would pick a swamp full of gills ready to bite a top water bug or a stained lake full of crappie. How many places did you say pick :)

redman

Hawn I am lucky in that the ideal place is right outside my front door. Cypress Islands and breaks with lots of trees and little cuts with reeds. I guess I am about the luckest man around. Most would kill to have there ideal place this close. I have fished the northern glacier lakes but nothing in my opinion can beat the southern lakes with cypress trees and French Moss.

Redman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Dreamland/Ideal: Floating a fairly clear/deep water river in a kayak in search of 20" smallmouth all by my lonesome. Friends are great to have along to solidify the fish stories, bond, BS and what not, but you just can't beat getting to fish where you want at your own pace.

Realistic/Current Favorite: Bellevue Reservoir #5 (aka the Fish Bowl) hands down. An 85 acre upground reservoir that is 20'~30' deep depending on the season. Usually clear/clean water but does get algae at times. Enough room to spread out and get away from people outside my fishing party but there are rarely too many others fishing this lake. 15 Minutes from my door. Steep rip-rap bank giving way to a mud/muck bottom lake basin. The remote location (6-8 miles from town) and the steep bank means that when you are down by the water you see and hear nothing but what is going on in the lake in front of you. Big bluegill, plentiful crappie and channel catfish, huge bass (LM & SM) with yellow perch and the occasional walleye make it a multi-species wonderland.

'On the Ice' is quickly becoming a favorite season of mine but that may be mostly because it is so fleetling. I dream about it all year long but am lucky if i get a handful of trips each season. Watching a mark on the flasher rise up off the bottom to meet the mark that is your jig/bait is just waaaaaay too addicting.

hookup

AtticaFish said:
Dreamland/Ideal: Floating a fairly clear/deep water river in a kayak in search of 20" smallmouth all by my lonesome. Friends are great to have along to solidify the fish stories, bond, BS and what not, but you just can't beat getting to fish where you want at your own pace.

Similar for me. I do this every weekend, but with a buddy for a shuttle partner. Good thing about kayak's is that you can fish alone 90% of the time, then hook up for BS, lunch, and at the end, a shuttle.

Last week I played hookie on Thursday, spend from 7am to 6:30pm on the river, caught plenty of nice smallies, but nothing over 17.5" (still an awesome day), then realized we were 4 miles from the takeout. Called a buddy an he was able to pick me up to get my car, then I returned, got my shuttle partnre & brought him back to his car just as it got dark. Then did it all over again on Sunday ... different river, different state, & completely different pattern of fishing. Got a dozen over 15" before the first two hours of the float was done, then the rest of day day scratched for a fish.

All fish came on soft plastics on jigs I pour & paint or flukes.

That's nirvana being on the river twice in one week, catching fish and working for a bite.

papaperch

All in all I highly prefer a multi-species spot. Although yellow perch are my absolute favorite fish I like the mystery of whats coming up next.

One of my most memorable days at pymatuning lake involved such a spot. In one day of fishing this weed choked point gave up every specie of fish in that particular lake. We were lacking a carp at the end of the day and guess who completed the ticket much to the delight of my lifelong friend .

Fatman

Except for the size of the crappie and catfish - the Oak Orchard River (full length) has to be my all time favorite!!!!!!! Behind my parents house it's really shallow and we called it crick. We made lots of money catching and selling crayfish and hellgemites. It has pretty much everything, the lower portion is well known for it's brown trout fishing.

Back