Yes, they worked

StumpHunter

Was going camping over the weekend for some crappie fishing and spent some time tying myself some jigs to use. I received a phone call from a friend that said the hybrids and striper were starting to run up the rivers. Made a few calls to find out what the water color was and it turned out to be very clear so I thought I would tie a new color bucktail to try out and see how they would work in the clear water. Well the crappie bite wasn't real hot but this bucktail was!!! The hybrids and stripers loved it. Spent Saturday pulling these bucktails and had a blast catching 3 to 5 lb hybrids and stripers from the kayak.

Attachments

• 20150421_135041_resized_2.jpg
    20150421_135041_resized_2.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 20150418_110410_resized_1.jpg
    20150418_110410_resized_1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 153

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yah baby, look at the oversize muscular tail on that fish & you know it can pull. Do hybrid "wipers" fight harder than stripers?

By coincidence, I got my first Lake Mac wiper on Tue, 4-5 lb on a hair jig. No #s yet from shoreline, but hopefully warmer weather will bring em in soon. Not only superb sport but also excellent on the table. Did you grease a few, Stump?

Color may not matter much to aggressive wipers - mine was snow white arctic fox + gold holo Flashabou on an unpainted 1/4 football head and my NE pard got a 10-1/2 lb beast on a 1/2 oz chrome Kasty. NE is WINDY.

Pepop

EXCELLENT investigation & use of information! That jig is SPOT-ON for clear water! I see the fish agree.

StumpHunter

Thanks guys, every fish caught from a kayak is a lot of fun.

Keith, the hybrids do fight harder than the striper. You can get them to the boat and think you have him and he will take off again!! :) To top it off I caught most of them on a 12' rod. I have a lot of video and as soon as I can get them downloaded and edit them to one video I'll post it here on JigCraft.

Redgun, the body is made using a long eyelash yard found at hobby stores.

Pup

Great-looking jigs and nice catch too. :cool:

I like seeing a hybrid taken by a jig tied with eyelash yarn. :)

rich mc

I tie a similar one with gilt eyelash yarn body wrapped with a stand of uv polar chenille. tail is furled romance yarn . those 1/8 oz? rich mc

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful fish and great jig style as well. We get white bass & white perch up here on Erie and a couple other reservoirs, but that fish would be of trophy size for up here. I've kept a few whites in the past and put them through the smoke treatment out side on the grill......... quite nice by tasty by those standards.

Need to get a decent H-Bird sonar and figure a way to mount it to my yak like you have. Fished the last 2 or 3 seasons with an Ice 35 and floating ducer off the front of my yak and would sure love to upgrade.

redgun

StumpHunter said:
Redgun, the body is made using a long eyelash yard found at hobby stores.

I have some of the black eyelash yarn, but have never seen silver? I will have to do some more searching!!

Thanks!

StumpHunter

Richnc, they are 1/16 oz.

redgun, I have some in black but it hasn't been near as good as the silver.

Russ I have both of my kayaks set up to run the same H-bird. The Wilderness I used a scuffer hole transducer mount and on the Hobie I have the transducer mounted inside the hull. Makes a big difference finding water that should hold fish.

Back