WTB: Lead for $1.00 per lb includes shipping.

Fatman

Melt

Don't take this the wrong way but I just don't see it happening!! You might get lucky on ebay for some pure but most charge shipping and if you do find one with free shipping you'd probably be talking 100 lbs or more and even then you can't be totally sure it's pure soft lead. \

I'd be going back to the yard you always talk about and talk to the owner - he must have some in there somewhere.

LedHed

Sponsor
Flat rate is the cheapest. Up to 75lbs for ~$12, easier for 50lbs for ~$12. Try picking up a 75lb box.

Think eBay you get ~$1.50 for WW and you pay shipping.

meltleadalot2693

The scrap yard I go to only sell car parts not scrap metal. It is a place to get used parts for vehicles. I guess I will have to go to the other smaller similar scrap yard I live 2 miles from...

Shoemoo

You're going to have a really tough time getting anyone who ships to sell to you at that price when the going rate for even hard lead (without shipping) is $1.25+. The reality is there are lots of people out there who are willing pay more, and unless you have a personal relationship with the seller or happen to live close enough so shipping cost is not a factor, they want to charge what the market will bear. Simple economics of supply and demand.

The people here who have lead are using it themselves. If they did find someplace that sold raw lead that cheaply, it would probably be someplace local and if it wasn't they probably wouldn't go spreading their source.

If you just like to melt lead and you're not selling the end product anyway, just melt the stuff you have down and repour.

cadman

I don't want to offend you either, however $1.25/lb shipped is not going to happen. I just paid $2.00 per pound with free shipping of pure lead and a mixed alloy. I bought 100 lbs of each. Good luck if you can find it. I too have a hard time finding lead here as well. Scrap yards don't have it and tire shops have reclaiming centers that take it.

cadman

Hawnjigs said:
20# at $1.25 = $25 - $12 postage = $13 = $.65 per lb. net to the seller

Hawn,
Is that a price you get in Hawaii? Or are you selling it for that.

CrappieHappy

cadman said:
Hawnjigs said:

Hawn,

Ted, I believe Hawn was giving an example of 20# of lead at 1.25 would be 25.00 less 12.00 for shipping, the seller would profit about .65 per lb on the 20 lbs of lead after shipping fees etc....

cadman

CrappieHappy said:
cadman said:
Hawnjigs said:

Hawn,

Ted, I believe Hawn was giving an example of 20# of lead at 1.25 would be 25.00 less 12.00 for shipping, the seller would profit about .65 per lb on the 20 lbs of lead after shipping fees etc....

Oh, OK now I understand. I thought maybe in Hawaii they have an abundance of lead. For that price I would buy a truckload and sell it here. Thanks for clarifying.

Shoemoo

Try contacting local plumbers, roofers or remodelers. Sometimes they get jobs tearing out old lead pipe or roof flashing.

cadman

Shoemoo said:
Try contacting local plumbers, roofers or remodelers. Sometimes they get jobs tearing out old lead pipe or roof flashing.

Believe me I've tried everybody. Sometimes I stumble on someone, but that is rare.

toadfrog

If I had ever known lead would reach such epic prices I would have been stock piling for these last 50 years .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sourcing lead for me is like fishing. Spread baits around and wait for a bite. Most of my friends and aquaintances know I'm always looking, and I get most of my supply from their referrals.

I don't understand why the price of scrap lead seems to be going up since the refinery price has been flat for quite awhile?

MLAL, I would suggest setting up a table or booth at a flea market or swap meet on Saturdays. Not only can you sell sinkers or whatever but you can spread the word that you're buying lead.

Back