WMD hairwing streamers

AllenOK

Met a taxidermist that had some Black Bear scraps he wanted to unload.  Finally got around to tying something with some.  Saw a pattern called a "WMD".  The original pattern had a wing of Black Possum hair.  I ended up doing some with the Black Bear.  That stuff is coarse and wiry!  Less is definitely more with Black Bear.  Also, I tied all of these are size 4 hooks, which is probably as small as I would go for Black Bear.  Any smaller just doesn't look right.

Tied up these six on 3xl streamer hooks, size 4.

View attachment 3

Tied up these three on Daiichi 2161's, size 4.

View attachment 4

Attachments

• 20190318WMDStreamer.JPG
    20190318WMDStreamer.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190318WMDSalmon.JPG
    20190318WMDSalmon.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 2

Fatman

Nice ties - hope you combed out the underfur to use as dubbing!! You can tie smaller with any bear hair if you get pieces for different areas of the bear.

AllenOK

I did comb out the underfur, but didn't think to keep it. It's still in the bag on my vise, just have to dig it out.

I'll have to check the various pieces I have to see about sizing.

stabgnid

Black bear is a common winging material on classic winged salmon flies
Steve-stabgnid

AllenOK

Believe me, I've been drooling over some patterns I have in a book on Steelhead flies. Only problem is that they almost all call for Jungle Cock, of which I have none. I do have a Starling skin that I could use to sub for the JC, but I really want to get some JC and possibly tie some "show quality" flies. Work has been slow lately, and money has been tight. Hopefully soon.

Bucho

My local fly guy says the same innovative, out-of - the box guys who invented pattern with exotic djungle birds 150 years ago would probably be very excited about all the modern shiny materials that are available today.

You can cut out clear foil drops and stick flat eyes on them.

stabgnid

AllenOK said:
Believe me, I've been drooling over some patterns I have in a book on Steelhead flies.  Only problem is that they almost all call for Jungle Cock, of which I have none.  I do have a Starling skin that I could use to sub for the JC, but I really want to get some JC and possibly tie some "show quality" flies.  Work has been slow lately, and money has been tight.  Hopefully soon.
I tie alot of salmon flies Jungle cock is usually optional  You can find some cheap in the UK on line stores or you can get them by the pairs here is a link
JC  if you just fishing these flies you can get intimation JC  also....
Steve-stabgnid

bluespey7.jpg

Back