Wire Weedguards

Missionjigs

Thought I would pass this along to you guys that pour your own jig heads for Bass. I made the full swap to wire weedguards about 3 years ago and for good reason, I don't lose jigs. I have converted a bunch of guys to the wire guards on their jigs and they ask for nothing but wire.......I have gone through a bunch of wire leader material to find what works best and I'm fix'n to share a few secrets that I don't talk about to most but since we all have a passion for the art of "Jig Craft" I want to make it easier for you guys that may have questions about wire weedguards and how to get them poured in the jig heads we use........ Here we go........Like I said I have gone through a bunch of wire and the "best" wire I have found comes from Berkley, it is their Steelon Leader in 80 pound test and that is the best I have found and I use it on jigs from 1/8 oz all the way up to 1oz. I stick 98% of the fish that strike and like I said lose'n jigs is a thing of the past for me. I cut a 1-3/4" section of wire out of the spool and use it as a measuring wire for the rest of the spool when I start cutting. Here are the tricks to getting a wireguard in the jig heads. First off you need a few teflon base pins that can be purchased from any online tackle store (they take the place of the metal base pins that come with a weedless jig molds) I take a 1" section of the teflon pin and with the jig mold lay'n on the desk in the open position I tape it in place with Scotch Tape on the right hand side of the mold. Bring the pin up to the head as close to edge as you can get it and tape it in place (this keeps the lead from flowing into the base pin cavity and it holds the wire in place when the mold is closed for pouring) Next step is to take 2 of the 1-3/4" wires and place them side by side*****IMPORTANT ***** WITH THE 2 PIECES OF WIRE HELD SIDE BY SIDE TAKE THEM TO THE POUR SPOUT OF THE LEAD POT AND TOUCH ABOUT 1/4" OF THE WIRE AGAINST THE POUR SPOUT TO MELT THE NYLON COATING TOGETHER. This does 2 things, first it bonds the 2 wires together and second if you DO NOT do this you will get an air pocket in the lead head every single time. I always take the lead sprue and wiggle it back and forth and when the sprue is removed this way there will be a cavity/hole right where the sprue and head meet. Next step is to lay the wire in the base pin cavity then place your hook choice in the mold. I always run the wire past the hook almost to the pour hole. Now close the mold and pour, you should now have a nice wireguard poured into the lead head and it ain't come'n out..........I always clean the lead heads and then flex the wire to the hook barb and cut the excess wire right behind the barb. When you get everything cleaned and cut spread the wires to form a V. Now it's powder paint time, I use a BernzOmatic pocket torch that sets on my desk top to heat the heads for paint...keep the weedguards pointed down and heat the head from the side until you know its good to go for paint. I always bake my heads at 375-400° for about 30 minutes then I turn the stove off and let it cool down to ambient temp. When you have your lead heads in the oven make sure the heads are far enough apart that the wires can't touch you will not get them apart when the nylon melts together and you will ruin not one jig head but 2. Also bake'n the heads melts the nylon into the twisted wire core and gives it the stiffness you want.............I hope this helps ya'll out. If you try it let me know how it goes. I may try to post pics tomorrow, I'm horizontal now and ain't get'n up.

Kdog

Indeed. very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and resulting techniques. Hope you enjoyed your nap!

Missionjigs

Attachments

• 0911141102.jpg
    0911141102.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 0911141105.jpg
    0911141105.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 0911141112.jpg
    0911141112.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 0911141113.jpg
    0911141113.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 0911141115.jpg
    0911141115.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 0911141120.jpg
    0911141120.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 0911141124.jpg
    0911141124.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 107
  • 0911141125.jpg
    0911141125.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 105

hookup

Looks good.

I fish tubes allot & use a stainless steel leader material in .018" diameter or 69# test, cut the same length as yours for a 3/0 hook. Bend a small loop in the end of the wire so it doesn't pull out of the jig. I do all this before pouring. My mold has a diagonal line cut into the mold to hold the wire & then pour.

I'll not claim 98% snagless in the rocky ledgy mid-Atlantic water sheds I fish, but the wire weedguard does help prevent snagging & loosing jigs with every other cast.

For jigs, I just pour, paint, bake & tie.

Here's a tube jig

IMG_0367.jpg

And a silicon/bucktail jig

IMGP0050.jpg

They do catch fish

GeorgeCClassMarch262006-1.jpg

JSC

Good information . another way that works for pourting jigs with wire .. I pour Solid wire, Cable wire in single and double . I have one that I am working on now will post when it develops ... (gotta try to catch some fish while the river is all most right) I see a couple of steps that could speed you up some ... but whats working for You is good ..

:)

JUNGLEJIM1

Very good information that I'm going to try. I was using steel single guards to get my double weed guards but doing that cost almost as much as the hook itself. I hate the plastic guards but some won't use anything else.

hookup

Looking at the pix this morning, instead of the teflon base pins you use, I use a spinner bait skirt band in my jig mold for the brush skirts. No tape, stays in place, and oddly doesn't melt when in mold. Practice on a couple pours to get placement correct.

JSC

What "Hookup" said ... plus try wire insulation / or / Leader sleeve.
Hope that helps a little.

Back