Wig jigs

jiggerjohn

Recently a member of another forum,himself a dedicated jig fisherman for bass and pike,asked me about an old article I'd written some years back for the original Fishing Facts magazine. The story told of my plumber and his pike jigs made of nothing more than a 1/2 oz round leadhead and about 6-8" of hair from discarded women's wigs,tied thinly and only underneath the collar. These were,of course, ugly critters,but elegant in their simplicity. And they caught (and continue to catch) pike & muskies better than anything I've yet seen! I don't know if my plumber has taken over 1000 pike from the St Lawrence river during annual 2 week fall vacations, but wouldn't doubt that he has actually taken far more. I prefer,these days, a single long rabbit fur strip beneath a 1/4 to 3/8 banana head or one of Hawn's jigs nifty HU jighead models. But the big pike seem to really grow ravenous when seeing something long & slithering overhead! On this tie SIMPLE has proven best!

LedHed

Sponsor
JJ
Hope you can post up some pics of thes pike jigs. Really like Hawn's UL lead free stuff - he's got some great custom jigs as well.

Hawnjigs

KISS
JJ2 is having pic posting problems so here's a pic of a simple unflashed 1/8 2/0 size. This is my clone of his idea with a tied and pinned black zonker strip for additional body and to keep the hair in place. Unlike mine, his original has the hair tied under the shank instead of around.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• wigjig.JPG
    wigjig.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 108

jiggerjohn

Yep, the long tailed jig above by Hawnjigs is quite similar to the original wig jig ( tho his looks much better!!). As mentioned the hair tied on the original was a bit thinner tied, and only underneath the hook shank. I much prefer the action of a long zonker strip underneath today,due to superior swimming action; tho did make some very effective "wig jigs" once with my wife's long dark hair (after she had it clipped-I didn't scalp her!). By the way, she was delighted that the pike really went after the rolling,natural flowing motion of her hair; UNTIL, I couldn't resist mentioning that the numerous fat cells from her head made the hair float&flutter in water better (hey, I enjoyed sleeping in the cold backyard that winter!!)!

Back