What's that?

bombora

Two fishes in almost three months ain't much fun. But better than none.
First trip was interesting. went 30 mile to sea in search of the southern bluefin tuna which have made a winter return off Sydney. Biggest I've heard of was 280 pounds. Being that far out in a 20 foot boat makes you feel very very small. We didn't find the BFTs but scored a small yellowfin and some albacore. Got my first ever albie, but we won't discuss how big:rolleyes: If albacore are known as chicken of the sea, this one had just hatched from its egg! Was on a jig, but not a tied one. Was a knife jig. Highlight though was a nine foot long blue shark which appeared just as the sun set and started chewing on the prop. Amazing creature.
Other trip was polar opposite; light/ultralight tackle in the harbour.
We got 10 species on a variety of lures. Highlight was this pretty little fella.
View attachment 1
Took some google searching and a photo sent to the Australian Museum to identify. It's a Crimson Banded Wrasse. Apparently common along the ocean rocks but rarely takes a bait let alone a lure, and got him west of the Harbour Bridge. So fooling him in enclosed waters far from their normal habitat is cool.
Jigs just seem to pull out the unexpected!
He was conned into taking a 1/8th Squoccy (squid/octopus;)) of dark brown and white with glow eyes. Will try to take some pics of the Sqoccies been tying tomorrow and post em up.
There's a fair few varieties of wrasse around here, the largest being the misnamed Blue Groper. A 46 pounder was taken on crab bait off the rocks near home the other day by a local rockhopper guru.. Has got me thinking.............
So, very little wettiing of lines lately but two new species in the two trips was satisfying (though one doesn't count so much, not being taken on a home made jig).
The way works going, may have a LOT of time to fish soon.

Attachments

• mal\'s crimson banded wrasse.jpg
    mal\'s crimson banded wrasse.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 78

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, 10 species. If not too much trouble, can you name them, so I can Google descriptions?

Doesn't look much like winter down your way. Is your area considered sub-tropical ?

bombora

Hiya guys.
Let's see Keith, species were yellowfin bream, large tooth flounder, the wrasse, silver trevally, Australian salmon (not a true salmon), dusky flathead, six spined leatherjacket, snapper, tailor (your bluefish) and luderick. Actually there were two more as my pedantic mate said today we got 12 species, but I didn't include the last two as they were little fellas: a mado and a yellowtail scad.
The other two guys used little plastics and one inch long blades.
There's around 600 species of finned fish which live in or visit the harbour. Around 6000 marine species of all kinds can call the harbour home.
The list below is some of the fish:
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Fishes-of-Sydney-Harbour
Keith Sydney's sort of borderline temperate/subtropical. But in mid-summer and through autumn _ sorry Fall:) _ we get the East Australian current pouring down from the tropics (The one made famous in Finding Nemo!) and it spills into the harbour bringing some hot water fishies here each year.
Hey big fella, yeah he/she was a handsome one, but didn't fight much despite the quite big tail.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear you made it out fishing a little - helps get my mind off the general problems of life, if only for a few hours at a time. Always takes me a minute (or 2) to remember you are on the opposite side of the seasons down there.

That is a cool looking fish, looks like it belongs in an aquariam. As soon as you mentioned the EAC it got me thinking of Nemo. Fish gotta swim - birds gotta eat.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, wow, your species bio-diversity in a harbor of all places is amazing! You Ozzies must take care of the water quality even with the massive urban landscape of Sydney. As compared to, say, Hong Kong, San Fran, or Hilo(our) harbor. The museum link saved me lots of time individually looking up your catch species.

The amount and types of commercial wastes that pour thru our drainage system into our rather poorly water circulated harbor is staggering - pesticides, auto repair shop detritus, even waste water from a wood treatment plant which back when cyanide and dangerously toxic organics were allowed ingredients caused massive fish kills which were listed as "cause unknown" by our regulatory overseers but was pretty obvious to anyone who knew what businesses operated in the harbor area.

Since Oz yielded the oldest fossil humanoid remains(?) maybe the species diversity is because the land is so dang old?

Sounds like one could spend a lifetime fishing the harbor without getting bored?

Back