What they say is true - bigger lure/bigger fish

SPOONMINNOW

The water level in my local lake has gone up almost a foot. The small shallow pond connected to the main lake has held schools of fish of mixed species: white and yellow perch, crappie, bass and sunfish - all mostly on the small side. The higher water may have contributed to the change in the number of strikes and the fish spooking when a lure dropped in the middle of one. Interesting was the size of lures - 1" and the smaller fish caught using a 1/64 oz jig-.

For the heck of it I put on a 1 3/4" lure that had a thicker body and only then caught 9" crappie from the school whereas. smaller fish hit the smaller lures. The lure was only tail-pecked by the smaller fish but no committed strikes. (a term invented by JiggerJohn)

I've caught many bass on lures large and small but mostly larger bass on larger lures - the fish ranging from 3/4 lb and heavier.
So what they say about using larger lures to catch larger fish is true in part.

Last edited:

jiggerjohn

Ya know, I consider that a lot of lures "pull-in" fish due to their body BULK ; that is, a finny predator can detect them SIGHT-UNSEEN by their moving presence ! This idea derived from our big ole cat, Marshall, walking on our bed at night and springing to his window ledge seat; couldn't see him in the dark(or from being semi-conscious), but no question as to his size, weight, and description ! If it'd been,say, a grasshopper I'd never known it was there!

SPOONMINNOW

Today was an eye-opener! The area we had caught 4 species only held roach and small crappie. Time to move on when most of what you catch is roach - a bottom of the barrel fish along with carp. (The Brits would disagree but what do they know.) I decided to row my a** of to a location a mile away. Should have used the trolling motor but didn't expect to go to this particular spot - a long channel through the wetlands that was made a century ago when a hotel was on shore and provide boats.

Depth varies but nowhere is it over 3.5'. I notice school activity like in the wetland pond and found the action incredible with 10-12" crappie and a bunch of yellow perch. Over 30 fish were caught on a variety of lures but of particular interest was the float! After catching a bunch on different creations, I put lures beneath a float. A friend of mine told me to try it considering his recent luck. At first, crappie attacked the float on the surface like they would a surface plug then the slow-moving lure beneath it! The biggest crappie of the day struck various lures beneath the float. The lure would be stationary, move a little bit and there went the float with a fish hooked good.

I'll be going back tomorrow for sure but this time with real surface lures!

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
One time on Douglas Res in CO wasn't getting much on a 1/16 Boolie jig and switching to a 1/32 short tie got bit way better. by decent size crappie mostly around 12". Not sure tho if this qualifies as "bigger fish".

Last edited:

SPOONMINNOW

12" crappie are respectable by anyone's definition! Any fish that puts a serious bend in my light-action rod is a lunker IMO!
Congrats on finding a modification that improved your catch. Too many anglers are incapable of doing that and end up with fewer fish or no fish.

hookup

Larger lures only matter when they matter.

But when they matter, they really matter

Hawnjigs

KISS
Mr. SM, just noticed your mention of "real surface lures" assuming of a size that crappie could get stuck on? Could you elaborate?

SPOONMINNOW

A foam float is not a surface lure; a popper, floating Rapala and some soft plastics qualify as surface lures, never going more than a few inches below the surface. I caught many fish on surface lures but have noticed a maximum size of 2-3" for crappie gets the most strikes due to a minimal surface ripple or pop; for bass, anything up to 4" (Zara Spook) that creates the most surface commotion.

Back