What is this?

jjsjigs

Banned
Ok. I need a little feedback.

1. Can you identify this fly? That's the key here... what does it resemble to YOU? I know the answer that's in my head but I'm focused on your first impression.
2. What needs work on it?
3. What Doesn't need work on it?
4. Would you fish with this fly?

My answers are below the pic.

20080101_01-1.jpg

1. I was going for a Hellgrammite
2. I don't think it's "meaty" enough
3. The back half looks pretty good to me, (the abdomen and tail) the thorax needs some work
4. I would fish with this fly... but I fish with weird stuff anyway.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
1: What is it? - I would have guessed either a hellgie or a stonefly... depending on the size. ;)

2 & 3: What needs / doesn't need work? - Honestly think you 'matched the hatch' pretty well, again depending on size. :rolleyes: I also think the head looks pretty cool! They do have a wide but thin (if that makes sense) body that is hard to re-create when tying... i have tried many times without much 'durable' success.

4: Would i fish it? - If i could successfully swing it on my FR without thumping back of my head... HELL YES! I don't care if it is weird if it catches fish - hellgies do just that! I have spent many days on the river (before i started tying some hellgie patterns) turning over rocks and sifting through leaf litter trying to find them for bait. Not so fun to thread on a hook!!!!!!!

Now my questions: What is this thing made of???
---What are the legs made of?
---What is the head section... the shiny part?
---Is the body (back end) flexible or stiff?
---Where do you tie your line, is this a tube fly?

details, details, details??? :D

JUNGLEJIM1

It looks like a hellgie to me. I think it's fishable as is,I'd throw it. Could maybe work on some prominent pincers in the front of the head but probably isn't necessary.Those pincers have gotten me more than once,ouch!! Is it weighted? Very nice hellgramite.. The adult stage of the hellgramite really is cool,scariest flying insect I've ever seen.

jjsjigs

Banned
Now my questions: What is this thing made of???
---What are the legs made of?
---What is the head section... the shiny part?
---Is the body (back end) flexible or stiff?
---Where do you tie your line, is this a tube fly?

It's made out of normal fly materials. A Mustad 3XL 94720 Hollow Point size #2
Legs are Ultra Chenille burned at the tips
The head section is mostly Pearl Black ice chenille the shiny body is craft foam epoxied.
The body is mainly rigid but I bent the hook shank to a "S" curve
You tie your line at the eye of the hook... 'cept you can't really see the eye from the angle of the pic.

toadfrog

First thought was hellgramite . So I figure first impressions are the best and no further work needed .

jjsjigs

Banned
Finally, after weeks of tweaking my pattern I have a workable hellgrammite fly called the "Hellgrammaniac". It on a long shank #2 hook and frontally weighted with .35 lead. What do you guys think?

825139322_photobucket_26393_.jpg

oldfox

Nice and buggy looking...I like it! Fish will waste no time gobbling that up! :icon14:
That one needs a tutorial also :)

Back