What I learned about selling jigs. part #1

Jighead76

Selling your crappie jigs made "not so" easy

I'd like to put this up because I searched for sites or forums when I started to sell and everyone said the same thing. Plus most were pretty vague on their tips. I don't know if its because of the competitor in them or if most people don't sell them but here's what I learned.
First make sure you want to do this. Seriously it can turn a relaxing hobby into something like work really fast. Especially if you do good work. I learned I can do about 6 packs of 3 or 36 in about a hour of straight tying without letting my quality slip to much. So if your up to it here's what I did.
First ill start out with the selling part. I assume you have a tackle shop in mind or know of one. I picked the largest in the area and kept hounding them, giving free samples with my name on them, emailing with pictures, and just being persistent. (Not a pest though). Finally after a year and a half he said that they were thinking of doing a local area. So I jumped on it. Knowing I wanted to sell I had my stuff ready to bring in and put up. all they had to do was put a price on it.
Which brings me to the next important thing. Your not going to make a bunch of money unless you have a factory. Not many people will buy your jigs no matter how good they are for $3.00 each. Well maybe a couple people. I sell mine in packs of 3 for 1.50 and he gets 3.00 or $1.00 each. That's a basic jig. I have seen packs of 3 sell upwards of $5 dollars retail which means he probably sold them to the shop for $2.50. All I'm saying here is be realistic in your price. You'll sell more and in the end make more.
Ok so you got a place to sell and they are stocked up. Every time your not fishing and sitting in front of the tv or have spare time. Tie more. Have at least enough to restock the whole display up again on hand then take a break.
Have enough materials to do a whole display sitting there too. Why? Because when one style is selling like hot cakes. That's when you won't be able to find the one thing you need. It happens to me. I buy my jigheads in bulk and when you run out its all stop everything.
I guess before I get too far ill talk about packaging. I learned that most places don't care for the carded jigs. I used to do it but no more. They fall apart before they are finished and what they told me was that once you tear half off the card is just taking up space looking like crap. If you still want to use one here's a tip. Buy card stock, print or put your logo on it, then put clear packing tape on the top before you punch a hang hole. It is cheap and will last longer. Anyway card stock is great for bagged jigs too. I bought a cheap paper slicer, like a guillotine style, that can cut a few slices at a time and make my hang cards up with it. You will be surprised how many hang tags you can get from a few slices of paper. Anyway I slice me a bunch up alittle smaller than a business card or whatever size your bags are and staple them to the bags of jigs. I bought me a ink stamper online for $15 with color ink and a custom logo and put handmade in "your hometown". I just ordered a second stamper for the back of the card with hook sizes, weights, materials, that I can circle after I put the jigs into it. And don't forget to put a hang hole. Lastly bags. You can buy bags cheap about any hobby or bead store that are great. If your in it for the long haul buy a heat sealer. I bought mine on eBay for $23. It's small and simple. Just stick the top of the bag in and push the handle down, wala its sealed. Plus instead of $3-5 for 100 ziplock style it's $6 for 1000. I think it looks more factory too. Now your jigs are in your bags (don't forget to ask how many the shop wants per pack) and you got your stamp on them ready to hang. Place a piece of card stock with the item on the hanger under the jigs so you know what your sold out of when it gets to it. Lastly for this part of what's becoming a 2 part series is to make up a sign to hang above your stuff telling people why yours are different. Put "see the UV difference" or "we seal our threads so no unraveling" or "tough powder painted heads". You get the point. It also might help to photoshop the 7# crappie with one of your jigs in its mouth too but that's up to you.

Ps. Take a picture of each jig you tie with the materials by it so when your trying to figure out what the heck you sold out of you can look back.

These are just some of my opinions and they probably will change.

Thanks for reading. Take it easy.

toadfrog

Sounds like you are getting into the swing of things . Shops do hate those pull cards . If you sell any single jigs it's best to get compartment boxes for bulk jigs . Keep them up by the register for one at a time sales . When the time comes go to clam shell packaging . The jigs rattle in the shell and make it a tiny bit harder to steal from the store owner .

Jighead76

Thanks toadfrog. I like the clamshells too. I haven't used them yet but I found that Hagens tackle has prices that rival the places that only sell packaging. Plus I can get materials too. You got me thinking I might get some. They look good too.
I'd like others tips on selling too.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of good information. Sounds like you have learned a lot. Tried putting some stuff in a local shop a few years ago....... I fished the local river almost every day at lunch back then and know what works and what just works sometimes. Tied up a bunch of my main stay smallmouth jigs in the usual colors (orange, drk green, brown, black) and only a few in crazy bright eye catching colors......... the black jigs are still on pegs in the shop. Got to catch the fisherman.

eyecrosser

Brought some samples down to a bait shop in Missouri this spring. The owner fell in love with my work but couldn't settle on a price. When you guys that do sell to bait shops talk with the owners how much are you normally looking to make off each jig? I got to figuring it up and I was barely going to break even. And that is without considering my time involved to make them. Your thoughts guys and gals???

Bucho

AtticaFish said:
.... only a few in crazy bright eye catching colors......... the black jigs are still on pegs in the shop. Got to catch the fisherman.
Think you gotta catch both. Find out what works for fish(hard part), incorporate that, and of course what works for the angler (easier part). And be innovative. Back in the late 70ties or so, some "Mister Twister" branded US-Company started marketing plastic grubs over here. Somebody tried the uv-active "Japanrot" version as droppers(teasers?) on deepwater cod-angling party boats. For the next 30 years, the word "Twister" served as a synonym for plastic grubs here in Germany.
Still today, on such a party boat you find 3 kinds of droppers - black grubs, uv-red grubs, and both colors combined... 99% of these guys have no idea of light waves penetrating the water column etc. but they sure know its important to get the "right" red!!
The other day, I tried a 1/8th white and olive bucktail as a dropper that got me about 1/6th of the entire boats´s catch, 24 anglers involved... It worked best with the main metal jigs`s treble removed, just dragged over the bottom, which is very beginner-friendly. Boat captains - who also sell lures - should apreciate that. The guys around me found it looked cool, just like a littel sand eel... At the moment, I got a head full of ideas and half a dozend kayak-angling forum guys waiting for hairbaits from me to test them in creeks, lakes, norwegian fjords, salmon rivers... While I´m waiting for proper molds and UV paint :D
If you stay on the beaten path and try to be cheaper than whoever ties for bigger companies in some part of the world - good luck! And quality? Thinking of flies - the only guys who can even identify and apreciate professional ties that fish are those who got tying (and fishing!) skills themselves, it takes one to know one!

Sorry for sounding like such a smart-@%§ while having no experience, but I´m giving this a lot of thought these days, for good reasons. I live in a city with a major fishing supply shop recovering from a fire, desperate for any merchandise to fill its empty space, in a country, perhaps even a continent, which has never seen proper (hair)jig craftsmenship since plastics are far more profitable in industrial production.

Jighead76

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm selling to make millions I just like sharing my jigs. I especially like to sell the quality no matter how similar to the others. That's the reason I started tying in the first place. I bought jigs that would last 10 fish and the thread would unravel or the head would chip up. Another thing I didn't like was putting a bronze hook in my box wet and finding a bunch of rust where it was. So I started double whip finishing and sealing my knots, wrapping everything tight as I could get it, powder painting and baking them and buying chrome hooks. Now I can use it till it gets snagged and I lose it instead of it falling apart. I think people want something that will last. There's nothing worse than a great jig falling apart when your catching fish.
Also I think I'm making about .20 a jig. You have to sell them cheap enough the shops can get their markups. When I sold them on eBay I think I made like .50 a jig.

Jighead76

Taxes? I figure when they take 37% of my pay check from my regular job that's enough. If this was a business for me its a poor one. Lol. I use the $$$ to buy more tying stuff. What I make off this?!...Saying that people catch fish with something I made. And I got to say its worth it to me.

Jighead76

Thanks for the link to that thread. It made me think twice and I think I'll get a tax number even if I only sell a few. As much as I hate the paperwork part it wouldn't be smart to not to do it. I think I will get alot back in my expenses anyway.

smalljaw

Yep, get legal because my buddy did the exact thing, the only good thing that came out of it was he kept all his reciepts for the items he bought and a good record of what he sold, it was impotant because when the IRS guy caught up with him they told him he could have lost his home because without any records they assume you've made 100's of thousands of dallars and getting a lawyer to fight it costs a lot of money. I used to see bass jigs and spinnerbaits the legal way while working 12 hour shifts at Alcoa, after a few years I gave it up as I was selling a ton of stuff but as you already found out, you don't make much per item and wait until you have to include the 10% excise tax on your stuff, you customers will love that because if you eat it you'll be down to making 5 cents on the jig. I still sell to tournament fisherman but I make no money as it is a hobby, I break down what it cost for components and charge what I have into the lure and I keep a record because I can still earn $500 dollars, anything over that amount and you go from hobby status to business. It isn't all gloom and doom though, you will be able to deal with places that sell wholesale so you can buy the stuff free of excise tax and great prices and if you can build up a client base and sell direct you'll make more as tackle shops want a 30% to 35% of full retail, getting 50% you are lucky.

Bucho

I´ve been thinking...

If I, as a private customer, wanted to purchase, say, 5 decent half oz bucktails from an U.S.-american seller, such as in this e-bay auction,

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-2-oz-Spro-...128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e6fc448

that would cost me

retail price: 10$
shipment: 25$
import duties: 7$
UPS handling charge for those duties another 8$
= 50$, in other words 10$ a lure. Now let me do a different calculation and please tell me when I´m wrong:

price for 200 durable, good looking jigs, customized to european anglers needs: 200$
sales added tax: none, since it is being exported
shipment: say 45 $
VAT for importer: 55.4 $
importer`s total cost per item: 1.5 $ (1.12€)
Realistic retail price per item in the EC: 2.5€ (3.30$) That is 2,2€ net (VATdeducted)
That would leave a span of 1-1.5€ per Item - say 50% - for R&D, marketing and sales. This market is not existing at this moment, and its development will have to be done against the lobby of established wholesellers and plastic manufacturers. That means hard work.

Again, please tell me if I´m going wrong somewhere. For starters, I´m thinking of a skinny 1/8th oz 2-coloured bucktail jig, darter or so, with just a few straws of flash, 2/0 or 3/0 red or black chrome matzuos, a nice metallic 2-colour paintjob with 3d eyes and a proper (epoxy-) coat. A sandeel boolie or a more delicate tandem tye however could sell a good deal higher.

What do you guys think?

Back