What do you feed spikes & mousies?

LedHed

Sponsor
Got some off of ebay - now I need to feed them. The spikes really worked well. Would rather use crickets but we have a cricket crisis right now. They are ridiculously small - crawling through the holes on the cage small. Haven't tried mousies yet......

What do you feed them and where do you find the stuff????

Kdog

LedHed said:
Got some off of ebay - now I need to feed them. The spikes really worked well. Would rather use crickets but we have a cricket crisis right now. They are ridiculously small - crawling through the holes on the cage small. Haven't tried mousies yet......

What do you feed them and where do you find the stuff????

Not sure they need feeding mostly keep them cold AND dry but not freeezing and remove dead bugs on a regular basis. Spikes are actually a maggot and are meat eaters waste matter eaters. Thislinks gives a detailed guide to raising them (I'll pass BTW)

http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2013/11/20/drone-fly-larvae-mousies/

quivira kid

I don't normally feed my maggots anything. Just keep in the fridge in either the baggie they came in, or I got a plastic Glad tupperware container and punched a few holes in the top. I buy them by the 1000 and they keep me in bait for about 2 months or so. Cold = dormant.

Personally, I use these to keep them in while fishing:
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/StrikeMaster-Bait-Puck-Bait-Containers
I got the small ones that come in the 2-pack. They fit in a jacket pocket just fine, and keep things sealed up but easily accessible.

LedHed

Sponsor
LOL Mel

Ain't real happy using these things but they work.

Very interesting article kdog - thnx

I'm using glad tupperware. Just got to get over the wiggling part..

quivira kid

The bluegills just gobble them up..... that should be motivation enough! I've been using size 12 and 14 ice jigs with one spike most of the fall/winter and dropping the hammer on them around here.

toadfrog

Don't forget to put those back in the fridge !!!!!! ya leave them out with the lid off and your gonna have Amittyville Horror in just a few hours . Voice of experience here .

papaperch

Yes don't feed keep as close to freezing as you can without actually freezing. Funny story had a buddy who ran a bait shop. Friday he got 6 cans of 10,000 maggots for what he expected to be a big weekend. His dedicated maggot frigerator quit working and started to warm up. It became an incubator.

Upon opening at 5:30AM he walked in and heard a loud buzzing. Quite evident coming from maggot fridge. Like a dummy he opened the door. If you can imagine 600,000 large flies in a buidling about 24'x24'. Said he was swatting flies for 2 months even after leaving both door open.

Back