Want to get started tying jigs

BucktailJiger

Been looking at all kinds of stuff , my head head hurts:beat-up: Been looking at crazy angler at their Slab Pack Kit 35.00 and the other stuff they have and then looked at one from Cabelas a Deluxe Tool Kit 29.95 . Looking for opinions on which way to go and any other suggestions . Thanks Quint

Jig Man

Robert at Crazy Angler is a great guy to do business with. Before you make any decisions give him a call next week. He will work with you and put together a package that fits you.

SaltyBuckster

I think that the most important thing is to get some "hans on" with the vises.Go somewhere that has fly tying stuff and go check them out to find what you are most comfortable with,Such as rotary,which almost everybody uses now so that you can spin your jig and see all of it before your next step.It's like a shopping spree,Ha.

Radtexan

I know you heard some other advice over there,but for a starter kit Crazy will get you fixed up...Most of the cabelas and bps stuff will have more dubbing and flytying stuff,,which is fine if you want to do some of that, but Robert will get you set up with a jig kit.

Some of the guys told ya save your money and get that high dollar vice.Ive tied for 20 years now and have a mid range vice,but still miss my old economy vice I gave away..I think I paid 10.00 for it back in the day..

BucktailJiger

Yup gonna call Robert and have him set me up with what I need . Think I got pre-jig tying addiction symptoms !!! I like it !!!

Fatman

Someday the big box Outdoor Stores will start asking the folks who know that to make up. Until then don't buy a kit, take some time to read the jig tying section, look at the pictures and maybe talk to some folks in your area. Then talk to Robert and have him set you up.

LedHed

Sponsor
If I was starting over I would probably get a Thompson or Herter's vise to begin with. You can find them on ebay or some tyers might have one or two laying around to trade. These vises were made in America and you are recycling. Most kits have imports made with cheap steel (cam wears out). If you don't like tying you can resell the vise on ebay.
CAT has a solid reputation with helping new tyers - highly reccomended.

Check out your local fly shop (if you have one). Usually they have fly tying classes - even Bass pro does. BPS has a neat starter video for about $10.

Shoemoo

Going to throw out a dissenting opinion here. I started with the Cabela's deluxe kit and don't regret it. The deluxe kit doesn't have any materials, just tools. I traded up to a rotary vise recently, but the original still works and I use it as a travel kit. I already bought a better bobbin before I got the kit, but I still use all the other tools and the pedestal that came with the kit fits my new vise. It comes with a nice case too.

For $30 you can't go wrong.

Lost Pole

Thx for coming over.
Same advice I gave over there I would say here (Micropterus salmoides),
w/o the jabs I threw in the background.

Enjoy the good people here.

hunter7711

Your gona have fun. What part of Iowa is Knoxville in? I got off my arse and looked. Is Red Rock where you do your fishin?

BucktailJiger

Yes sir that's were I fish . Then 1hr south is Rathburn , good Crappie lake if you can find um .

redman

Crappiejgr: The advice on a older vice is good. I have and use almost daily a vice I bought back in 1959. Its a old Herter's vice and still does the trick. After all what is a vice to do. Hold a jig head and hook in place so you can tie on chenille, feathers. or hair. Unless you have big bucks to blow start at the bottom and work your way up. I guess I am still at the bottom and don't want to go any further up. BTW Robert at Crazy Angler will treat you good. Very nice GENTLEMAN.

Redman

Fatman

Nothing against the Herters #9 I have one but if your on the auction site ask the seller for some detailed close up pictures of both sides and from behind of the collets. I've seen several that I've looked at that have cracks in them. My own has a big chunk out of it but I've been able to make it keep working.

I know of no place to buy replacement parts, and the replacement Thompson A collet doesn't fit, but that's okay I have an extra for my Thompson now. The picture here with it circled in red is the area you want pics of. Would hate to see you get it without checking it first.

If it's not clear enough let me know and when the son gets home I'll get a better close up of it.

Fatman

Herters9andthompsonmodela2.jpg

Back