Walleye mold with collar removed weight?

SlabHappy

I just got a walleye head mold, and was curious if anyone knows the weights of the heads once you remove the collar? Looks like it is quite a bit of lead you are not adding, and curious if it changes the weight by much. Might take mine, after a modify it, and see about weighing it on a postal scale.

toadfrog

Shoot I never did care . If They sink and don't float . Don't go deep enough not to anchor the boat I'm good . LOL
Seriously the weight will be different to some degree mold to mold of the same type . Even the mold makers are a little lenient in the weights . Not really rocket science .

crappiecripplerjigs

I have weighed jigheads from all of my molds using a gram scale at work. Both with and without collars just out of curiosity. I'll report back later this afternoon when I get home. If I recall, most all of them were underweight except 1/8 molds across the board.

Bucho

My very first customer returned quite a numer of jigs as they differed up to 20% in weight. He found that unaccaptable as the whole idea of hair jigs was new to him and he felt he had to get aquainted to this kind of lures by using identical weights.

The difference was mainly due to removed collars, but also the alloy and the ammount of tying material.

toadfrog

Hope I don't get any of those kind of customers . Good Grief . Talk about picky and I thought I had O.C.D.

hookup

This thread got me thinking.

When they say 1/8oz in a mold, is the total jig & hook 1/8 oz, or just the lead?

Bucho - I would refuse to do buiz with a customer that picky - you'll never satisfy them and always loose money on trying. 20% of 1/8oz amounts to a phart in a gail storm and unless you are finely tuned into angling will not notice the difference.

Bucho

It did teach me a lesson on what customers here expect. They are not used to handcrafted merchandise, they regard uniformity as a quality standard. I wouldn´t want to have missed that experience.
Rather one customer who returns stuff than an dozen or a hundred who turn away in silence.

Not exactly breaking my neck to get more orders from that guy though :)

BTW I have a little "pusher" scale that tells me very exactly what the finished product wheigts, and with the molds poured out with silicone there´s no more guess-work on how much of the individual collar is cut of. The imperial scale had never been much use for me in the metric system anyway.

Bucko

a person that picky obviously doesn't know the industry. any jig you buy the weight on the package is the head weight regardless if it is bare or dressed. custom molds with collars removed will be different than others but if you get a cheap scale you could put the modified weights on them. I wouldnt let that guy get to you.

SlabHappy

I found another post that had the weight, difference. Not as much as I would have thought, but is a difference. Couldn't find the 3/32 oz weight. You don't see many of the 3/32. Why is that? I like them. Alot of times the 1/16 is too light, but 1/8 is too heavy. I think I am going to like the 3/32. Poured 200 this weekend, 1/16 and 3/32. Painted some with ruby slipper to tie for my jig swap. Sign up! Have till wednesday.

JUNGLEJIM1

The 1/16 walleye jig with collar totally removed weighs on average about 1/20, trimmed to first segment it's 1/16 and no trimming weighs about 1/14 oz. 3/32 with no trimming weighs 1/10, barbed segment removed weighs .09 or about 3/32 and with whole collar removed weighs .075 - .08 or about 1/12. The 1/8 with ring/barb weighs .135 which is a little heavier than 1/8, trimmed to ball collar and it will weigh 1/8 or .125 I weighed these all with black nickel #2 sickles. Seems when you remove the barbed portion of the jigs that the weight is accurate on this mold. Other mold swill be different of course.

SlabHappy

Thanks Jungle Jim. So I'm looking at 1/20 for the 1/16th, 1/12 for the 3/32, and my guess is 1/10th for a 1/8. I removed collar and barb on all and use #4 black sickles for 1/16 and #2 for all else.

toadfrog

I know one thing If I ever need to get something down to the knats a$$ . I'm gonna hire Jim to do it . LOL Just plain to lazy myself . Gonna copy this so I can scribe it on a mold if I need to .

JUNGLEJIM1

I only wish that Do-It made this mold all in one size instead of one of all the sizes. I really like the mold but takes awhile to pour a bunch of 3/32 which is a killer size here fishing local rivers. It appears that quite a few JigCraft members have and like this mold as well.

SlabHappy

Yeah, i love the 3/32. Mostly fish 1/16, but if there is a little wind, a little heavier is better. 1/8 is a little too heavy. I like as light a jig I can get away with. I wish they made a mold with 1/16 and 3/32. I have about 200 1/8 round already poured, but after getting this mold, I have no reason to use them. I was waiting to get this mold, hoping to find a no collar mold, but filled it in with silicon, and works great.

Back