Walleye baits

chill49

We are starting to get some walleye back in the lakes and just curious from you walleye people if there are any jig colors that work better than others.I have been using a 1/4 oz jig with a olive bucktail olive thread with a small red collar and a Reptile powder painted head. Catching some small ones but sure hope they grow up soon

redman

Don't know were you are located at but there is a thread about Walleye jigs here on the board. This is the thread. http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=2756&highlight=iowa+walleye++jigs I have had great success with most of them. I use to fish Walleye 99% of the time. Now that I live in Texas I fish Crappies and Catfish. Some of my old Walleye jigs work like a charm on the crappies. Take a few minutes on these jigs and study them I think that you will find them interesting and a good place to start at least.

Sure wish that the lakes down here would support a walleye population. Sure miss fishing them.

Redman

Fatman

Back home fishing Erie and Ontario we'd use chartreuse and blue, orange and chartreuse and fire tiger!! If the jigs weren't working we'd use blade baits.

redman

Quint that jig on the top left first photo I like. Think that it will catch a bunch of eyes. Even the jig heads are better for the river than the lake. Nice ties you did very well. HATS OFF.

Redman

redman

That used to be very good walleye waters in the 1980's. Haven't heard of any thing of late but remember when the big walleye bugs all use to go down there to fish some big hawg walleyes.

Redman

ragged edge

Catching walleyes on #4 sickle hook with black head, pearl black chennile and black feathers. Hook sounds small but walleye will inhale jig for deep hookset

redman

eyecrosser that is what they are they a patterns that were developed by C.J. "Cap " Kennedy. The molds were ones that Jim
Stone helped me make He was the same person that made Cap his. Cap entrusted me with the secret of how to tie the Rock-a-Roos. I have been promoting the Original Rock-a-Roos as he tied them. The name was sold several times but they failed to get the tying technique. That I figure he gave to me as I was the only one who wanted to learn the secrets of this great little jig.

Redman

eyecrosser

Try to match the local forage in the lakes you fish. They at times will even be size oriented. Larger baits early spring/ small to mid-size baits post spawn through early summer and back to large baits in the fall. This is a general pattern I follow and there are occasional exceptions. Hope this helps.

Back