Wabbit Zonker treble hook

AllenOK

Had this idea a few weeks ago. I'll use this on my prototype BIG in-line spinner for Stripers. Gotta find that prototype....

You can't really see it, but there's a white wabbit zonker trailer behind the green chartreuse one. I've got some UV Krystal flash and some Flashabou, then palmered a white crosscut zonker over all of that. Big, bulky tie, but it looks good. Could probably use a magnum crosscut zonker to add some bulk.

View attachment 5

Attachments

• 20150105RabbitTreble.JPG
    20150105RabbitTreble.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 81

AllenOK

Plateboarder, that's a size 2 EWG treble. I won't say that a White Bass can't get it's lips around that hook, but that fish would really have to work at it. Although I have throught about some smaller versions for Whites :)

Fatman, I have been thinking the same thing. I've got a zonker cutter, haven't used it much.

Fatman

Allen what are you using for cutting zonkers?? I've seen a fancy wood handled one doing searchs but the one with razor blades, nuts and bolts makes me think how much I like my fingers!!!!!!!!!

AllenOK

Fatman, that's what I'm using. Razors, nuts, bolts, and washers.....

It helps that I'm a cook. Sharp things don't scare me :)

hookup

Nice tie. For sm bass, I use crystal flashaboo for all rear trebles on jerks, cranks, & inlines. Figure the dressed rear treble emulates a tail and adds flash.

AllenOK

LedHed, I just used some Sally Hansen's. If/when I actually do take this from a prototype to a production standpoint, I'll might go with acetate floss, brush a little acetone over the tie after it's done, and turn that into plastic. I'm not sure on that one, haven't worked with that stuff before, and my previous dressed trebles haven't had any issues with unraveling. Been making in-line spinners for a couple years now. Love those things.

Hookup, I have a topwater lure that I doctor up. The lure works good for LMB's in still water, like ponds and lakes, but when you're targeting 10 lbs + Striped Bass in current, the stock hooks just don't hold up very well. I'll swap out the stock hooks with these EWG trebles. I always dress the rear treble with a couple splayed outwards neck hackles, and just a bit of red krystal flash. Basically a bigger version of the rear hook on a X-Rap.

Back