vmc 9147's

redear

just recieved about a week ago some black chrome vmc 9147's, and was surprised to see that they had the old style point and barb which are better for my pinky jigs to help hold the minnow on the hook. and then I had some bronze 9147's also and when I looked at them they had the premium needle point type point with the smaller barb. lol this is completely opposite of what is usually the case. normally the black chromes have the needle type point and the bronze ones have the old style point. so I guess whatever they feel like doing at the time is what you get. lol

Hawnjigs

KISS
Shorty's sent me old style France mfg. #10 BNs & TRs. The rest, #8 & #6 bronze, red, & black, were all China mfg. new style. I THINK France 9147s are old stock they are still trying to run out.

Does anyone notice the old style France hooks seem stronger than newer China versions?

LedHed

Sponsor
I still have a bunch of the old style bronze 9147 and they are stronger than the newer versions. Wish Rapala would bring back some of the old style VMCs.

redear

I ordered another 750 this evening from capt. hooks. size 4 black nickel. haven't fished them yet, but in the vice they still seem stronger than the eagle claw black platinum, heck with crappie and such they are pretty much all strong enough. I think the points on the older stock was a tad bit sharper though by just a smidgen, but these vmc's are still sharper than the ec black plat. hooks. I only use the aberdeen hooks when I need the old style barb for holding a minnow on the hook better, any other time I want the sickle. and if I am tipping with a peice of worm the sickle works great too.

redear

just got those 750 vmc 9147 size 4's in yesterday, and I was checking them out trying to bend them and they are plenty strong in size 4 I would say stronger than most aberdeen jig hooks of the same wire thickness, the temper must have been right on these as well as the other order a few weeks ago. In other words don't count on bending them out on 6 lb. test. my eagle claw black platinums in the same size are much softer.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hook batch quality differs with all manufacturers so good idea to stock up extra of good-as-it-gets batches. Especially since the France VMCs might be history.

The Barbarian was originally a bass jig hook - the "V" angle mid-bend was designed to center a pork rind trailer.

Back