Vise Base, C-clamp or pedestal

CrappieHappy

I am curious what you are using a c-clamp or pedestal base vise. I currently have an el cheapo c-clamp vise. looking to upgrade in the near future to a rotary vise.. any and all suggestions appreciated....

Thanks
Heath

Pup

Pedestal base. I paint and tie on the same table. Removing a c-clamp from my table top, in order to paint, is a royal hassle to me.

I do have a c-clamp for my vise that I use when traveling.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I personally like pedestals more. Can move them around easily but a good one is plenty heavy enough to keep it stable.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I use a clamp Griffin Odessy and have no complaints. Some plastic knobs on it but have never broken one and it has gone through some abuse traveling in my car.

For the clamp/pedestal, it may just depend on how your tying area and desk is laid out. Mine is a footstool that the clamp screws onto but with a pedestal you could tie anywhere i spose. I have always wondered how stable the pedestals were.

If you are upgrading to full rotary - you WILL love that no matter what base it has! ;)

SaltyBuckster

Happy my vise came with both.I tried the C-Clamp first and pretty much hated it.The pedestal was much nicer and easier to use.The C-Clamp now holds my flouresant light to my computer table,lol.

CrappieHappy

Posted by SaltyBuckster - Today 07:31 AM
Happy my vise came with both.I tried the C-Clamp first and pretty much hated it.The pedestal was much nicer and easier to use.The C-Clamp now holds my flouresant light to my computer table,lol.

Thanks for the info

Posted by Jig Man - Today 07:23 AM
As soon as Mrs Happy started tying I knew you were gonna get a new vise...

Lol Mel.... I have been giving my 15.00 vise hell for about 8 months.... time to upgrade a lil bit :)

toadfrog

I have both types . It really depends on the circumstance which one I use . Clamp vises are handy especially if you are in the boat and need to tie one real quick.

Fatman

No matter what one you start with get the other one anyway. I tie most of the time on a pedestal base but if you go somewhere have both. Sometimes you'll need the base, because no matter what that c-clamp won't fit on everything.

Back