Vintage Heddon Fly Rod

Pup

Picked up this one over last weekend along with a slew of other rods. Its cork, seat, and bamboo are great, though it's missing a line guide from one of its tip sections. Have, possibly, a repaired ferrule as well. Do wish that the rod's condition was perfect, but wouldn't anyone? ;)

Heddon Premier #115 Split Bamboo Fly Rod - 9' - 2 1/2 - F - HCH or D

Line spec seems to correspond to a 6-wt. Ferrule size is 2.5 (kinda like a guide size, I think).

hpremier008_zps8c237aa1.jpg

hpremier005_zps767e3ab9.jpg

hpremier003_zps4ffb392c.jpg

Own too many rods as is, so I don't know for sure what I'll do with it. However, the rod was built sometime during 1948 - 1952. I do like having a bit of history around. It's a pretty little rod that, if in mint condition, holds a decent dollar value ($400-500) to some collectors.

They say that once you fish good cane...you're hooked on it. ;)

Fatman

Pup the Ferrules on a bamboo fly rod or old fiberglass refer to the metal connector pieces. The Classic Fly rod Forum http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php used to have a database of rod value's. haven't been there for a while.

If you really wanted to get it ship shape you could check with some of the guys at http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/ they could give you a quote on repair cost of it.

Pup

Thank you for the links FM. :) I know that the metal connectors are the ferrules. What I don't know is what the two and a half (2 1/2, 2.5) represents. Is it arbitrary? Refer to ferrule length? Or, correspond to something else? May well check that out at one of those forums you provided.

I think I've read that rod guide sizes directly relate to the sizing information found in drill bit charts. That's kind of where I was headed with my parenthetical comment above. Should have said "maybe?" instead of "I think". ;)

Fatman

Pup here you go!!!

The Heddon Premier #115 fly rod was made by Heddon exclusively for Sears as was the #125 Expert model. These are good quality rods with pretty fair collector value. The Premier model #115 in 9'0" length with original tube, bag and all four sections in "near mint" condition would be valued in the $400-$500 range.

The "2 1/2" designator is the coding used by Heddon for the ferrule size used on this rod. The "HCH or D" are the line ratings for this rod that translates to modern line ratings of 7wt for WF and DT lines or 6wt for level lines. If you want to fish with the rod, it should do well with the 7wt line

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fishing-1634/2009/1/Heddon-115-Fly-Rod.htm

Pup

Thanks for the link FM. :cool:

And FWIW, it's rod tip tops, not the guides, that relate to drill bit sizes.

Have several other potentially-collectible rods that might be interesting to show. More to come later, possibly...

StumpHunter

Awesome find Pup!!:) Every cane rod has it own action and once you find the right rod it become a extension of your arm. Love my cane fly rods.

Pup

Thanks for your comment StumpHunter. :)

I like the interesting history behind the rod. I've read that Heddon was well known for quality bamboo rods back in the day.

Should be fun to cast about. Next, I'm going to have to find an old wicker creel and a laminated wood-handled landing net. ;)

StumpHunter

I use a new laminated net while trout fishing. Love the smaller size to it and never really knows it's hanging on my back.
Can't tell in this pic but I was fighting a fish with a split cane rod using the soft tip that makes it close to a 3wt rod. You can see the net. It was cold that day, 16 degrees when I stepped in the water but the fish were hungry :)

Attachments

• Snapshot23.jpg
    Snapshot23.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 33

Pup

I can tell that's a nice net. Sixteen degrees is cold, even for fishing in Indiana during the winter. However, you knew you had to feed those fish. :t-up:

Back