Vintage Bobbin

BucktailJiger

100_0025.jpg
I like this . Tied a couple jigs with it . It's smooth and comfortable to hold .

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking tool!

Got a story behind it - where you got it and any info you have about it? Sometimes the story is just as interesting as the tool. :)

BucktailJiger

AtticaFish said:
Nice looking tool!

Got a story behind it - where you got it and any info you have about it? Sometimes the story is just as interesting as the tool. :)
I wish i did . Got it from a friend in Wisconsin . I do know they were hand crafted in the 40's right around the era of WWII . Inside it on the metal bobbin holder there is some engraving . Can't make it out . May take it up to the local jeweler and see if he can make it out with a diamond glass . Curious as to what it reads .

LedHed

Sponsor
The bobbin was made by Morris Perry of West Haven Ct. MP was from England and was noted for his Classic Salmon Fly Tying and Fishing expertise.

During World War II he developed the “Perry" bobbin. It was constructed of mostly wood because of materials rationing during the war. In the 60s he returned to England and his partner in West Haven continued to market the bobbin until interest for the bobbin dwindled…

BucktailJiger

LedHed said:
The bobbin was made by Morris Perry of West Haven Ct Bobbin. MP was from England and was noted for his Classic Salmon Fly Tying and Fishing expertise.

During World War II he developed the “Perry" bobbin. It was constructed of mostly wood because of materials rationing during the war. In the 60s he returned to England and his partner in West Haven continued to market the bobbin until interest for the bobbin dwindled…
Thanks Led for posting that . I was trying to get more put together on the history of these , but ya beat me to it . I enjoy looking at it and the jigs in the picture were tied with it . Think I'm going to make some kind of box thing to put it in to display it .

Shoemoo

Interesting bobbin alright. Does it allow you to control the tension on the thread by squeezing the sides?

BucktailJiger

Shoemoo said:
Interesting bobbin alright. Does it allow you to control the tension on the thread by squeezing the sides?
It has a set screw that presses against the bobbin clip that sets the tension . Don't even know the set screw is there it's counter sunk .

Back