Victims of the hackle

quivira kid

With all the wind we had today, duck hunting the reservoir was out of the question. So I loaded up my dock fishing stuff and headed out. Went fishless for almost 4 hours! Then the fish moved in some, and I ended up with these... All caught on 1/32oz pink head, shimmering blue chenille body, white hackle tail. I didn't catch many, but the ones I did catch were quality. 10-11.5"

319999_641812261693_77201780_33625660_2111930546_n.jpg

quivira kid

Hunter, this is at Marion County Lake... Small, used to be homeowner-exclusive. They have an enclosed, heated dock that's over a brushpile near the dam. The crappie get constant pressure, so it can be a tricky spot to fish, but it can be a LOT of fun! We use the same tactics and gear you'd use for ice fishing and do pretty well. Ice rods with spring bobbers, light line, flashers, and most times ice jigs. There are times where they will slam a 1/16oz jig on the drop, and there are times where they will "negative bite", just barely picking up the jig. Finesse at its best!

quivira kid

Jig Man, I beg to differ! You come up and I'll fix you a fin-and-feather meal you won't believe.

Led, I use maggots this time of year.

Went back for some more this afternoon/evening and didn't do too bad. Most fish came on ice jigs tipped with maggots, but I did catch a gill with some shoulders on one of the pink/blue/whites pictured above.

Lost Pole

That pink blue n white was one of my river teachers go to jig. Never could figure that out when everyone else only used chart. But it worked.
Great catch n jigs.

Adam

Back