very large jig vise

Bucho

I have a high-end vise that holds 8oz - 9/0 jigs surprisingly well, but now that I`ve ordered a couple of molds in the double digit range (both hook size and weight :cool: ) I`m pretty sure I`ll reach the end of the line.  

does anybody have an idea or experience in this field? I know I can always use the tool vise on my work bench but that doesn´t rotate and I would have to re-arrange half of the shop.  :-/

bigd

I read on a saltwater site once that they use a rotating vise from harbor freight. It's small, cheap and can be mounted to a bench. Don't know if this helps but I remember reading it.

bigd

i believe that is what they were talking about something very similar to that. they mentioned harbor freight company. i remember that.

saltyfeathers

Bucho did you ever find a suitable vice? If not have you looked into the Peak Jutrasic series? I'm currently considering one myself as I'm in a similar situation. I've been using my Regal for up to 8oz and 10/0 but if I could get something a little more stout it would be nice

Bucho

Got along with the old vise surprisingly well for now, but I haven´t realy gone into production with the 12/0 16-20oz stuff. Its time though, gotta get jiggie with it till May.

Kdog

This is he harbor freight vise I think was mentioned. http://www.harborfreight.com/quickview/index/index/id/3689/ if you use the smooth jaws, they arent very wide and would hold any larger size jig very securely. There is a vacym hbbu vise that might work but I have one and tried it for twisting some blades but it was not up to the task,
Here is the link to the Harbor freight assortment http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/vises-anvils.html

Years ago, I was making very large Bass poppers and used a machinsts clamp that I held in a regular vise. you can find them almost anywhere.

Back