Using jigs for stream trout fishing

Palad

I was wondering how may of you use jigs when fishing for trout in streams. What size and are spin fishing or fly fishing?

SaltyBuckster

I see these guys using both,flyrods and spinning rods.Seems to me that they use 1/64 and smaller on thier flyrods and 1/32 and larger on thier spinning rods.

LedHed

Sponsor
Jigs are used (spinning) a lot out here in SoCal to catch stocked trout out ponds and lakes. Not to many streams here...

StumpHunter

I use flies for stream trout but some around here (SC) does use jigs or spinner jigs with spinning rods fishing deep pocket. They let the jigs sink to the bottom and reel them in slowly. Rooster-tails are used many times.

bombora

Yes on my grand total of two trout stream trips;). Only a handful of blokes in all of Oz do so on spin. 1/16th and 1/32nd standard weights here. Microjigs more common with the fly guys.

jschmidt

bombora said:
Yes on my grand total of two trout stream trips;). Only a handful of blokes in all of Oz do so on spin. 1/16th and 1/32nd standard weights here. Microjigs more common with the fly guys.

pretty much the same here. 1/16 and 1/32. with all this snow I need to get out and find some tailwaters.

Fatman

I live right around the corner from one of the best trout streams in Vermont and we use ultra jigs 1/64th and smaller on fly rods but on the spinning rod 1/32nd up to a 1/4 oz. Jigs just flat out work.

Fatman

There's a couple of really deep holes I fish and if you don't have a 1/4 it gets washed right by instead of getting down to them.

I've tried lighter jigs with really long casts and tried to get them down deep but even with a tight line there's too much flow against the line.

jschmidt

Fatman said:
There's a couple of really deep holes I fish and if you don't have a 1/4 it gets washed right by instead of getting down to them.

I've tried lighter jigs with really long casts and tried to get them down deep but even with a tight line there's too much flow against the line.

makes since. I fish a couple of similar holes.
what type of line are you using?

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, I get it, just haven't had any personal opportunity to fish that kind of structure.

What style head & what brand/size hook?

Fatman

Ball and bullet heads, mustads/ec/vmc usually 4 or 6 even smaller when the water goes down. Trilene XT extra limp clear. I've tried a pony through there but any little bit of grass or slime in the water kind of clogs up the swivel then it's just fishing a jig with no flash from the blade.

jschmidt

Fatman said:
Ball and bullet heads, mustads/ec/vmc usually 4 or 6 even smaller when the water goes down. Trilene XT extra limp clear. I've tried a pony through there but any little bit of grass or slime in the water kind of clogs up the swivel then it's just fishing a jig with no flash from the blade.

ever used superline, like fireline crystal or suffix 832, and a flouro leader? may help on the drag.

Hawnjigs

KISS
How the heck did you fit a #6 or #4 hook in a 1/4 oz. jig? Can you post a pic of a head or two?

I've got the same weed clog problem with prop jigs. Maybe JJ1's and Attica's tail gunner design might be less prone to blade fouling?

Not meaning to jack the thread, but in my experience trout love metal flash on a jig.

Fatman

nope never used fireline or suffix. Don't have any of the heads right now but here's a pic of what I did to an old ball head mold for heavy duty hooks, and then trimmed the collars off. Not one of my brighter ideas, but I did it back when I was in the military and that's over 20 years so I've learned my lesson!!!

100_1103.jpg

and you don't want to know how many hooks I snipped in half getting the collars off.

Winnebago John

If your not throwing Marabou Jigs for trout your missing something great.Toss some bigger jigs and you will freak out when you see what hits them. Big trout eat crawdads and minnows and other trout. For brookies small jigs with plastics work great.

JUNGLEJIM1

Longer rods with very light mono is what I use to get a tiny jig deep even when the water is running fast. The longer rod keeps the line off the water so it sinks quicker. I used an 8.5 foot fly rod blank that was made into a spinning rod along with 3.1 lb test tectan mono to get a 1/64 jig deep enough to fool the 6 1/4 lb. rainbow I caught back in May.She was in water over 6 foot deep.

Fatman

Once in a while maribou will fool one but hair seems to work better - plastics, everyone thought I was nuts when they saw me using them till they saw the fish I was catching.

Back