Upground Reservoir Grind

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Finally have a system worked out and been bringing home at least half a dozen each trip. Chipping away at them. Slipped out of work early and got up to the reservoir at 3:30 with my son after he got out of school and fished up till dark. Groups of fish would come through every 15 minutes or so and could only get the attention of a few each time. Was lucky to get 1 out of the school before they disappear but did get 3 from a group towards the end. 7 fish today but every fish over 7.5" and no throw backs. There are nice crappie in here, but damned if i can't find them in this featureless fish bowl. Still the only one to drill holes in this reservoir so far. Probably good thing too because all the holes i cut from the last 2 times out still have not froze solid with the light snow cover we have and just barely freezing temps.

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

Attachments

• 100_8483_e.jpg
    100_8483_e.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_8487_e.jpg
    100_8487_e.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_8489_e.jpg
    100_8489_e.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_8496_e.jpg
    100_8496_e.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 56

Radtexan

Glad someone is getting to wet a line right now. Only one on the ice ? Either your a genius or a ..........

Looks like some good fillets and a good brew !

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
There are 2 little city reservoirs just outside of my home town for city water. The 'old' one is so filled in with sediment and muck from pumping out of Honey Creek, it is only 8' deep and a weed factory. New res (#2 in my book, the one i have been mainly fishing) is 22' deep at the current level and not a weed (or piece of structure) to be found. Fishing is like night and day between them. I know there is another local angler that ice fishes the old reservoir, but i have never ran into him/her. Always see their holes and trails. Never have seen holes other than mine in the new res. though. Only people i have EVER seen fish the new res are kids from town that walk here and they don't know what they are doing. Everyone else in town i talk to says the new reservoir has no fish. :rolleyes: I just tell them you have to be there at the right time. Our little town is also out in the boonies and 15/30 minutes from other nearby towns.

To answer your question........ no, not a genius. Just lucky to live where i live.

Radtexan said:
........Only one on the ice ? Either your a genius or a ..........

Kdog

Poke a hole in a can of cat food and drop it in one of your holes as you are leaving. Next day there will be fish holding in the area.

hookup

Kdog said:
Poke a hole in a can of cat food and drop it in one of your holes as you are leaving. Next day there will be fish holding in the area.

I was going to suggest something along these lines, but more by building artificial structure with pool noodles, a food grade bucket filled with rocks, or old xMas trees. Of course, you'll have to drop these when the water's soft again under the cover of darkness, then GPS or triangulate the location.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
hookup said:
......building artificial structure.......... .....under the cover of darkness, then GPS or triangulate the location.

I have considered it. Most of the small town city water departments don't like the idea so would have to be done out of sight. To make it tougher, they usually do not allow boats of any kind on these little upgrounds either. If there was some underwater cover in one of these >50 acre lakes i would imagine it would be a mecca to the fish. Right now i just keep drilling holes and moving, moving, moving.

Back