Upgrade Bobbin?

Hawnjigs

KISS
When I started learning to tie on a vise, I received a gift of several metal tube bobbins which were put to good use. They were fine for practicing basics, but do fray thread at a certain level of pressure. I think I'm ready to upgrade a level, and would appreciate suggestions for a quality bobbin at a good price. I mostly use Uni Big Fly thread.

Jubs

I have 4 of them from here (click here) (Ceramic Tip wire thread bobbin 3.95) and once you get them tuned ( bent out to your liking) they work great and are affordable. I actually have 2 more of them in the mail that I just ordered a couple days ago. I also have a Griffin ceramic large size and its really nice but I don't care for tying flies with it cause its too large the one in the link are mediumish sized and work well for me even with big hands. I have one wire bobbin that came with my tying kit and I just use for wire anymore. Griffin and Dr. Slick make some nice ones but they run in the $10+ range.

I wouldn't suggest getting a full ceramic tube one because if you drop them and I have heard if you apply too much pressure they can break but the ceramic inserts (like the one I suggested) work nicely for me. These might actually be the ones that Flatfish sells as well and you might want to check with him and see if he has ceramic insert ones as well.

LedHed

Sponsor
Didn't know CAT was carrying bobbins..
I like the all ceramic but now they run ~$18 - too much.
Check out Cabela's soft grip bobbins.

Jubs

Do you use the soft grips, if so how has your experiences been with durability? All the reviews I read on their site said they break I was at Cabela's today and I saw them but didn't look closely at them because of the reviews I read.

LedHed

Sponsor
Jubs
Only used one a couple of times - was too big - like tiemco. Had a set that I passed out to some new tiers and they seem to like them. Will have to check out the reviews - thnx

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, Crazy Angler Tackle does have ceramic tips for $3.65. Since I don't feel ready for a spendy pro bobbin yet, this sounds like an ideal next level upgrade.

CK3

Hawnjigs said:
Yup, Crazy Angler Tackle does have ceramic tips for $3.65. Since I don't feel ready for a spendy pro bobbin yet, this sounds like an ideal next level upgrade.

I bought three of them from Crazy Angler and I like them a lot.
A little harder to thread because of the ceramic insert, but hey,
that's part of the deal. In fact I've never bought anything from
Crazy Angler I wasn't happy with and I've bought a ton of stuff
from him!

OKSTATEjiggy

Any ceramic-tip bobbin is good. I, too, used the metal bobbins until I broke one, then every one that I bought after that one would fray thread. Ceramic all the way

junebug

I have 2 full ceramic tubes and hae yet to break one, and had them 4 or 5 of years to boot and love them. I also have 2 or 3 ceramic tip and love them also.

cadman

I started out with the steel tube bobbins and like the rest of you, it started to fray the thread. I now have 3 Griffin ceramic insert bobbins, and I love them. No turning back now.

Back