Ultra Ultralight Spin Fishing

rickman

I've been an ultralight spin fisherman for years now. I pretty much gave up the heavy bass gear (I kept two rod/reel setups just in case and for pike/cats). I came across a technique a couple of years ago that actually has been around for some time called "threadlining". Here it's called Ultra Ultralight. Rods are built on 1wt and 2wt flyrod blanks with Tennessee handles. Very, very light rods and slow actions. The use of small spinning reels usually in the 500 series size spooled up with 6X, 7X and for the really adventuresome, 8X fly tippet material. There are lines available in larger spool sizes with the corresponding (and accurate breaking strength) fine line diameters such as DAM Tectan Premium monofilament in 2# breaking strength with a line diameter of .0031 inches. That's some thin line. I have a couple of rods spooled up with this 2# line but am more comfortable with the 3.1# line at .0039 inch diameter. As a comparison, Maxima Ultra Green in 2# has line diameter of .005 inches and Yozuri Hybrid Ultrasoft 2# has a line diameter of .008 inches. That is more like 5# - 6# breaking strength. The DAM Tectan mono has a breaking strength that actually corresponds to what is listed. The big difference is the small line diameters. With the right rod, one can toss 1/16oz (heaviest) down to 1/64oz lures fairly decent distances. Mostly used for small stream/river fishing. Float-N-Fly works great too. Makes catching smaller fish a lot of fun and don't rule out the bigger 4lb bass for a real battle. If interested, you can check out a fairly new forum here:

(I've linked JigCraft.com there as well since the jigs go hand in hand with this fishing technique)

http://threadlining.com/index.php

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Does look like a good site - thanks for posting!

I have kicked around the idea of trying to convert a fly rod into a spin/hybrid rod. My intentions would be to go after bluegill and crappie with a rod like that. If i can gather the funds..... that may be a winter project for me. :cool:

Fatman

Looks interesting!!!!!!! Had an old timer back when I was just a kid who used white 00 sewing thread on a bamboo pole for gills, he caught more and bigger fish than anyone else!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Not meaning to be contrary, but C&R trouters advise not to play fish to exhaustion.
Apparently a stress mortality issue.

rickman

Hawnjigs said:
Not meaning to be contrary, but C&R trouters advise not to play fish to exhaustion.
Apparently a stress mortality issue.

Since I've been fishing this technique I've never had that problem. You are actually scrambling to try and get your fish in without breaking your line or your pole. 2-3 minutes max depending on the size and type of fish. Gets your heart racing.

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm having a custom 3wt fly/spinning rod built right now. It's 7 1/2 foot long with a moderate/fast action with the new Microwave guide system.I saw a video on the guide system and had to have a rod with those. Years ago I built a similar rod,fished it for a year and broke it when I fell on it and broke it. The time and money I spent on that rod was more than what it's going to cost to have this rod made for me. There's no comparison when it comes to a custom rod over a store bought mass produced rod.I own a few customs now and won't buy another retail mass produced rod. The rod has a lifetime guarantee as well.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Just looked up the Microwave guide system - pretty cool - something i have never heard of. Sounds like it should be a fun little rod.

JUNGLEJIM1

mudhole.com has a video on the Microwave guide system if anyone wants to check it out. They came out this year so are pretty new. They should reduce line twist a great deal. When I get the rod back I'll take a few pics and post it here.

Fatman

Thanks Jim. I'm gonna check that out. The wife is complaining she can never figure out what to get me for the holidays. Maybe a custom????

JUNGLEJIM1

Fm, it cost me under $150 for my rod. Depending on what you want the figure can go up or down. It's possible to have a custom rod made for under $100. Had one made in 2004 that cost me over $500. I won't spend that kind of money anymore.

Fatman

Did you order all the parts you wanted, and they do the work?? I know a couple of guys on Fly Tying forum that do custom rod work, and after your post I'm going to try and put a list together and have him give me a quote. Thanks again for the info

JUNGLEJIM1

I ordered the blank,guide system,length of handle and type. Everything down to the color thread wraps and marbled guide overcoat. I looked on mudhole for the parts and rod blank I wanted, told him what I wanted and he ordered them.Making custom rods is what this guy has done for a living for the past seven years.

hookup

Interesting.

I've always been an UL angler. Figured was one of the first using the fly rod, modified TN handle, smallest spinning reel I could find w/ 2-4# test.

Love Tectan, and yes, the only one with 'true' breaking strenghts. Leave it to the Germans to test their line on an instron for breaking strenghts. 2#'s the bomb for crappie and my biggest smallie yet came on this line.

Typically Tectan's strength is long casts and weakness is abrasion, so I now only use it in lakes & non-abrasive environments.

I built a St. Croix 7' UL for my old boss for Utah trout. He loved it & I fell in love with the rod but never got one for myself. I would highly recommend this rod to anyone who's into UL fishing.

Got me thinking now. I typically use the concept system of guides, but will have to look into the microwave now.

Good post!

Back