Tying on tube jig heads?

Shoemoo

I've got about 100 1/16 and 1/32 ounce tube jig heads with aberdeen hooks. The hook sizes range from 10 to 6. I still use tube jigs occasionally, but I've switched to sickle hooks due to the wider gap. These will probably never get used in a tube, so I was thinking of tying on them.

Has anyone tried tying on them before? I've seen pictures of painted tube jig heads with hackle tails, just can't find them right now.

Fatman

Shoe I searched here and over at CC and couldn't find them. But I'll keep looking.

But basic answer is YES you can tie on them - and use any of the other patterns that have been posted.

Hawnjigs

KISS
When the crappie weren't biting 1/16 round head jigs this past season, switched to a 1/32 tube head jig with the same rabbit fur pattern and no bite turned to hammer time!

I noticed that since a skinny tail tie wrap can be the same diameter as the head, another material can be overwrapped all the way to the hook eye leg or even beyond for a no head look.

Shoemoo

Covering the entire head with material would be nice, since I wouldn't have to paint the heads. What kind of material were you using to overwrap, and how were you tying off in front of the eye?

Hawnjigs

KISS
For the tube head jigs I started the final thread wrap over some Flashabou behind the eye leg, continued forward almost to the tip of the head, then overwrapped back to tie off behind the leg.

JUNGLEJIM1

I have some #1 Gamas that I poured some 1/16 tube heads on. I think I'll play with some bunny and see what I can come up with. I've tied them in the past with mallard flank and they turned out pretty good.

Jigging15

I have a 50 pack that may never get used. May just have to paint some up and tie a few to see how the look.

JUNGLEJIM1

These are 1/16 tube jig heads that were poured on Gamakatsu 11410 size 1,which is their light wire aberdeen. It looks like a #2 to me but they are sharp and I always wanted to try them. I got a good deal on them at the boat and sport show last weekend. Cost was $5 per 25 pack which is less than half the normal price. I did a few ducks and nine bunny jigs with the dozen I poured. The black ones I also used some canadian pine squirrel on a couple.
View attachment 1
View attachment 2View attachment 3

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 53