Tying Bench

Kdog

Finally getting tired of having my tools scattered all over and not having ready access
to some of the little odds-n-ends that are so handy to have when tying. So I am gonna make a tying bench and a separate bench for jig making/finishing

Searched all over the web for size and have found an amazing assortment, ranging from 5' folding tables to modified roll top desks. Found a lot of commercial units some with tiers for tools some just raised platforms. Common sizes are listed below.
wide x deep x tall, 21x15x5.5 , 16x10x6.5 , 17x8x8 , 19x16x4 , 17x20x3 , 12x6x2.

Looking at my tying area, lighting is not an issue as it is well lit with fluorescent tubes. So all I need is a way to keep everything handy and neatly organized and being a believer in muscle memory everything in the same spatial orientation. I have done several mock set ups and keep coming back to the same size. 18inches wide, 12 inches deep height is gonna depend on my bobbins and various tools.

So before I start cutting material (Gonna use cherry) anyone have ideas or suggestions or "school of hard knocks wisdom" they would like to share. Please provide some input as I only want to make this once.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
18" x 12" seems on the small side. But then again, i am messy. I do clamp my vise to a very small footstool (maybe 8" x 10" surface area at most) and simply sit on the floor when tying. When the crap comes out and the fur flies, my mess is spread out in a 3' (arms reach) radius around me. Scissors, razor blade and clear nail polish or head cement are about the only actual 'tools' that stay up on the footstool. Once i'm done, it all gets tucked away back into a tool box and a corner cabinet.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Still thinking after i hit reply............

I have seen a couple tying tables that have a cut-out of some sort so the vise could be mounted in the center of the table, which i thought was cool. Would be nice when you would be trimming bucktail collars or other material right on the vise and all the trimmings fall on to the table for cleanup instead of off the edge of the table like mine does.

Guess it wouldn't make any difference if you have a pedestal mounted vise.

Bucko

I bought scratch and dent countertops with the back splash from menards. Hang it with brackets below and you're set. For storage I use Rubbermaid tower totes that slide in and out like drawers, and they have wheels on the bottom so I can roll them out of the way when I'm done. Molds are hung on peg board. I may redo my countertops with cable on the ends to a winch so I can fold them up against the wall when I need extra room. We'll see how that goes? I don't think there is a right way to do this though, everyone had their own preferences. One thing I did redo on mine was to raise it up so if I don't want to sit I can stand and work. Had to buy a taller stool on wheels, but I can't sit for too long.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I guess size would depend on the amount of space you are limited to. But that would be way too small for me. I've learned to always make something bigger than I think I need.

QPassage

Ron Don said:
I guess size would depend on the amount of space you are limited to. But that would be way too small for me. I've learned to always make something bigger than I think I need.

Agreed mine it way to small already.

Back